"I'm not up to anything," she says in a sing-song voice. Just then, Des walks over to us with a tray of shots in hand. Without thinking, Candy throws two back, humming delightedly to herself.

I blink. "You drink while you're working?"

Des scoffs before taking a shot herself. "Yeah. Niall doesn't care. Want one?"

"Uh-"

"Yes, she does!" Candy takes two more shots off the trey before quickly thanking Des, who disappears to offer shots to other clients.

Candy hands me a shot glass, and I hesitate before grabbing it from her. "We won't get in trouble?" I question.

Candy waves her hand at me, dismissing my worries. "You're fine!" She holds her shot glass up in the direction of the two men I just served and exclaims, "Cheers!"

And before I know it, I'm taking a shot of patron with Candy and two men I just met tonight. When I'm finished, I start laughing and cringe a bit through the burn. "You're a bad influence, Candy."

She points to me and nods. "Yes, precisely." I roll my eyes, and she snorts. "I just want you to loosen up and have a good time for once, okay? Which is why-" she tugs my hand and pulls me forward. "I want you to dance with me!"

What?

"No! no fucking way am I dancing!"

The men behind me whistle loudly, urging me on, and I can already see people turning to see what all the commotion is about. My cheeks burn. "First of all, I can't dance. I have two left feet, Candy. Second of all, I'm not a dancer; I'm a waitress. Big difference!"

Candy purses her lips before she waves Des over. "We need more shots!"

"What? No! Getting me drunk won't make me dance." Candy gives me an unamused glance. "....Okay, maybe that was a lie, but I just- I'm nervous! I don't know how to dance."

"C'mon, Allie! It's not that bad. You just have to listen and feel for the beat. I promise it's not as scary as it looks! Just let go and have fun for once. You deserve that."

"But I-"

"Okay, tell me this," Candy cuts me off. "When was the last time you did something for yourself?"

It's a simple question — a question I should have an answer to. My eyes dart back and forth as I rack my brain for answers that don't come as easily as I suspected they would. "I-I read a few pages of this new book I rented from the library after I put my sister to sleep last night."

Candy deadpans. "Allie..." She shakes her head and tugs my hands. "Let's go. Right now"

"Candy-"

"Let's go, Allie."

Men holler and cheer when she drags me on stage. I freeze when I stumble into the spotlight, my body falling rigid and taut. So many people are looking. Candy stands behind me, her hands falling to my hips, and I yelp at the sudden contact. "Relax," she murmurs, her lips brushing past my ear.

Her hands force my hips to move to the heavy beats the DJ mixes together. She's helping me find the rhythm, I realize. After some persistence and support from the people around me, I start rolling my hips experimentally.

You know what?

Fuck it.

"There you go," I can hear the smile in Candy's voice. People seem to like the way she whispers into my ear. "Is it okay if I move my hands?"

I back up into her more, nodding a bit nervously. "Y-Yeah."

I keep rolling my hips, and Candy pulls me closer to her chest. I can feel her breast press against my back, and her hands sensually move up, cupping, groping, and tracing the curves of my body. For a moment, I forget how much I hate touch and just enjoy the moment and bathe in the praise and the money that's thrown our way.