"Oh, no, that's not the only thing, honey," Candy tuts, looking taken aback by my statement. "Your hair looks great, but you're just-"

"Glowing," Jasmine pitches in. "You're glowing tonight, Allie."

"Oh," I cringe because I realize I must sound so dumb right now. I wish I knew how to take a compliment without twitching and growing nervous and shy. "I didn't realize."

"Confidence is everything, Allie," Candy leans down and kisses me on the cheek before she starts changing into her skimpy outfit for the night. "Seriously, you could wear a trash bag, and if you hold your head high, you'd still look sexy."

I blow a raspberry. " I doubt that."

"What Candy means is that you're beautiful always, Allie," Des pitches in with a pointed look.

"Do you know what you're wearing tonight?" Candy questions as she flips through the clothes rack.

"I have no idea. I haven't decided yet."

"Oh, can you wear a dress tonight?" Jasmine perks up. "I got a dress that I think would look great on you!" Jasmine jumps up from her makeup station and brushes past Jade, who's currently curling her hair. Jasmine scurries her way to her duffle bag, and after a few moments of digging around, she presents the dress to me with a broad smile, holding it up by its rhinestone straps.

It's a thin piece of fabric with a shiny front. The cloth is a duchess satin, and just by looking at it, I can tell just how soft the material is. It's a ballerina pink, soft and sensual. It's flowy and wavy – a beautiful drape with buttons going down the right side, stopping right before the leg slit that begins at the upper thigh.

It's beyond beautiful but never something I could wear or pull off. Everyone would be able to see my scars with the open back of the dress, but I can't lie. A part of me wants to put on the dress to feel the velvety material caressing my body. "I-"

"You should wear it, Allie." Candy insists. "And don't worry. I'll help you get ready."

Relief flows through my body. Candy has already seen my scars, and she never asked questions. I appreciate that more than she probably realizes. "Y-You think it'll look good on me?"

"It'll look great on you," Des says, beaming.

It's nice having my co-workers hyping me up and supporting me. It makes me genuinely smile and feel a bit more important — a bit more seen and heard.

I don't miss the way Jade rolls her eyes. It throws me off a bit, considering everyone else is busy smiling, cracking jokes, and being happy with me. Jade, however, is the only one who doesn't smile. She's the only one who remains quiet and distant. She's standoffish and unapproachable right now, and I can't help but feel like I'm to blame for her sour mood.

I busied myself by playing with the ends of my hair, waiting anxiously for everyone to leave, and when they do, Candy walks up to me and hands me the pink dress.

"Why don't you try it on?"

I nod and grab the satiny fabric. "Y-Yeah. Sure." I peel off my baggy clothes and slip the dress on easily. It hugs my waist and breast, and it makes my stress spike in the slightest. I don't wear clothes like this often. Baggy clothes were comforting and warm to me, but this outfit is different; it is out of my usual comfort zone, and I don't really know how I feel about it yet.

"Stop overthinking it," Candy demands. "Sit down, yeah?"

I sit down in one of the chairs before a makeup vanity as she asks. "I-If it makes you feel better, I can cover your scars on your back with makeup, so no one sees them."