25

"What if... one of your friends turned their back on you and betrayed you?"

My eyes widened as I let her continue.

"Will you also protect them like you said?" Annie asked.

"Yeah." I instantly said.

Annie's eyes widened and she looked at me. I smiled at her then looked at the distance.

"I'll save them too. Whoever they are. Everyone needs to be saved, like everyone here inside the walls." I said.

"But why? Didn't you understand what I just said? What if they betrayed you?" Annie said with some annoyance in her voice.

I didn't look at her and my smile remained on my face.

"Well, let me ask you this. If they failed to complete their mission and went back to their hometown, do you think they'll still live?" I asked and finally decided to look at her.

Annie still had wide eyes and her brows were furrowed.

"I..."

I patiently waited for her answer and sent her a gentle smile.

"I don't know..." Annie muttered and looked down in the water.

"Exactly. There's no guarantee they'll live empty handed." I said.

"What if they don't want to be protected?" Annie asked in a low voice.

"I'll protect them whether they like it or not. I'll drag them if I need to." I answered.

"That's why I want to save them too. There must be a reason why they are doing it." I added.

"I should stop now..." I thought and looked at Annie, who looked like she was on the verge of crying.

My eyes widened and I panicked.

"A-Annie?! Why- oh shit, sorry. Why are you-"

"Why?" Annie wobbly said, her voice is a bit quiet.

"Huh?"

"Why?!" Annie suddenly yelled and whipped her head towards me.

"What is wrong with you?! Why are you doing this?! Why are you so naïve?! Why are you trying to save everyone?!" Annie yelled at me, tears threatening to fall down in her eyes.

"You're an idiot! Trying to save someone that will betray you, they might even kill you! Why can't you be selfish for once and think about yourself, huh?! You're always 'I'll protect you' 'I'll save you' 'l'm here for you'?! What about you?!" Annie continued.

I was too stunned to speak, surprised by her outburst.

"You're always there for everyone, trying to make them laugh and lift their spirits up. You're always concerned for everyone, even some random person who's hurt or some poor kids down the streets."

"So what about you, huh?! Who will be there for you if you get hurt?! Who's going to help you when you need help?!"

"You can't protect everyone! You can't save everyone! So please, just... stop..." Annie trailed off and looked at the ground, finally letting her tears drop.

I watched her cry for a minute before embracing her into a tight hug.

.
.
.
.
.

"Annie! Take off Milieus' maneuver gear!"

"Why?!"

"Do it, fast!"

"What is wrong with you?!"