I sighed. "A mother cares for her children. A monster does not. Once you accept she's the latter, you'll stop expecting the former. And, despite what you might think, Kol, I did mourn you after your death, and so did Brooke. And, I did attempt to avenge you. I would do nothing less, because we are brothers. Always and forever."

Kol nodded in understanding but he then had a confused look on his face. "Speaking of, where is Brooklyn? I would've assumed she'd be here by now."

I suddenly felt the sadness and anger immediately flow through me. "You think this is funny, do you?"

He frowned. "What are you talking about?"

"She mourned your death and yet you make jokes when the tables have been flipped." I scoffed.

He seemed to be thinking for a moment before a sudden expression of realisation appeared on his face. "You don't know, do you?"

"Know what?!" I exclaimed in frustration.

"She's alive."

As if on queue, the front door slammed open, so I immediately headed downstairs. I sped over to the front door and froze as soon as I lay eyes on the person who just walked in through the front door.

Brooke.

She stared back at me with the biggest smile, yet I could see the tiredness in her eyes even from the distance.

It took me a while to process if she was really here but it was definitely confirmed as she ran straight into my arms. I wrapped my arms tightly around her and looked straight into her eyes before finally connecting our lips together after all these months.

-

-

Brooke's POV

I pulled away from Klaus after what seemed like eternity.

"I have so much to tell you, Nik. What happened in Mystic Falls, the prison world, coming back here, Esther-" I began rambling but he quickly cut me off.

"You can tell me on the way."

I looked at him confused. "What? Where are we going."

He smiled back at me and I could literally see the excitement in his eyes. "To see our daughter."

-

-

It felt like the longest car ride ever, I just couldn't hold back the excitement of seeing my daughter again. Explaining everything that has happened over the months we were apart helped with the time moving so slowly and we were now finally pulling up to the driveway of the Mikaelson's safe house in Arkansas. 

I didn't even wait for Klaus to properly park the car before I jumped out the car and sprinted towards Rebekah and Elijah, who carefully held Hope in his arms.

I stopped dead in my tracks as soon as I got closer and could actually make out the features on her cute little face. I walked closer towards them, not leaving my eyes off of Hope for even a second. Elijah met me halfway, keenly handing her over to me.

Once she was actually in my arms again, it felt so surreal. Like I would wake up any second and still be stuck in the prison world.

I held onto Hope and it wasn't until she cooed in my arms, I let out a breath of relief knowing it's all real. I turned around and found Klaus right behind me close to tears himself.

I took a step forwards and handed Klaus our daughter and we just stood there taking in the moment, feeling happier than I have in a very long time. And I could tell Klaus felt the exact same way, judging by the exact same smile on his face that I had on mine.