ch. 57: "hopeless"

Luke's P.O.V 

I couldn't take it anymore. Anxiety pulsed through my veins as I walked closer and closer to Tatiana's hospital room. Once I reached it, I stood there for a moment.

Was it right for me to visit her?

I was just a hopeless fool. 

The door opened unexpectedly, it was the nurse. She smiled half-heartily at me and passed by. I took the chance to slowly walk in to see Tatiana holding her daughter. Calum was nowhere to be seen. She looked up, seeming surprised but softened up right after.

"Luke, how unexpected." she smiles as I walked over to her with my hands in my back-pockets.

"I just wanted to see how everything was going." I said, moving one of the chairs slowly over to her bedside.

She carefully sat up in the bed, hoping to not wake the delicate thing in her arms.

"Well, we recently just got the news that she has asthma.." she says with a tone of sadness in her voice.

My breath was taken away from a second as I sat my eyes upon the child.

She was truly beautiful.

She had a button nose, very alike and similar to Tatiana's, the cheeks were incredibly pouty and squeeze-able, her eyes were shut tightly, her breathing quick and soft.

"I'm- really sorry to hear that.." I reassured her, and she sets a hand upon mines, making me feel at home.

A quick silence hushes over us and it was deafening but yet so peaceful. The only noise was the ticking sound of the clock and our slow breathing.

"Can I hold her?" I broke the silence, I couldn't help it. I wanted to hold the new bundle of sunshine.

"Of course." she accepts my request and slowly sets the baby into my arms, she was as light as a feather, very light.

I looked down upon the newborn and I felt a tear shed and she quickly swipes it away with one of her hands.

"You're tearing up, mr. tough guy!" she giggles, looking at me in awe.

I shake my head and chuckle, making the baby move a little in my arms.

"I think we need to talk." I say, setting the baby into the glass bassinet the hospital provided.

She nods and I sit back into the chair.

I take some time to think about the sorts of questions and what our discussion would contain of and cleared my throat.

"Who's is it?" my voice boomed a little too loudly in the room and she quickly hushed me.

she shrugs and lays on her back.

"What do you mean you don't know? You have to know." I said in disapproval, crossing my arms.

"It's Calum's." she confirms, sighing.

"How would you know?" I questioned her, in curiosity.

"Because he was my first." she defended herself.

"Are you sure about that Tati?" I squinted at her and she gulps.

-

Tatiana's P.O.V 

"Yes I'm positive." I continued to argue with him.

It couldn't be his.

It can't be Luke's.

No, Luke can't be Kei's father.

She had almost all of Calum's obvious features like the eyebrows and eyelashes.

"Let's run a test." Luke doesn't back down.

"Fine." I agreed, ringing in a nurse.

After a short-while of waiting, a female nurse comes rushing in with a clipboard, looking alerted.

"What is the matter?" she asks, anxiously.

"Hi, I would like to run a paternity test for Kei." I smiled at her. She simply nods and informs about the process of the paternity test.

"Can we do it today?" Luke sits forward on his knees in the chair.

"No problem." the nurse leaves the room and comes back with the supplies needed for the test.

She simply injects a clean needle into Luke's arm, he bit his lip harshly as she injected it in slowly.

His eyes were shut tight during the whole procedure, making me a bit entertained because he looked like he was about to take a crap at any moment. After the nurse has taken his blood, he takes a loud sigh of relief.

"We already have a sampling of Kei's blood in our department, and your blood also. The results will come in thirty minutes." she lastly informs us, smiling and leaving.

The thirty minutes were torturous since it felt like two decades. Calum still hasn't returned from his journey of getting my needs which included:

clothes
shoes
food

it was a very simple task.

after thirty minutes, my stopwatch buzzed in my hands, making me jolt from my nap. the nurse came a little late, like five minutes or so. luke was pacing back and forth in the front of the room with his hands up to his face, rubbing his jaw temples. 

the doors slowly creaked open, making a small shrill whiny sound since it was a bit overused.

"hello miss tatiana and mr. hemmings! the results are here in my hands, would you like me to read it out loud or for you both to see personally?" she smiles, looking over at the both of us.

"you can read it-"

"we can take it-"

i looked over to luke and he backs up with his hands up.

the nurse walks over to me and hands me the paper, then quickly leaves shortly. i slowly unopened the folded paper and read over the genetic codes and such.

"so?" luke asks, standing in front of my bed biting his lip.

i handed him the paper and he sighs a sign of relief.

"it's mines." calum's voice echoed in the room, making me jump.

luke clapped loudly, walking over to calum and they did some type of bro-hug.

"she's all yours." luke bowed and walked out the room simply.

calum's hands were full of baby essentials along with my necessities.

"thank you." i stood up, walking over to him and he wrapped his arms around my waist, hugging me tightly.

"i love you, okay?" he pulls away a little looking into my eyes.

"i know.. i love you more." i giggled, bopping his nose.