Jase didn't set the gun down, though.

Gripping the doorknob, Jase unlocked the door and flung it open, pointing his gun at the person on the other side. Only Jase found himself face to face with not a monster, but a very startled woman with light pink hair.

Lowering his gun, Jase let out a sigh of relief, before he asked, "Can I... help you?"

The woman raised a small box of what looked to be cookies. "I'm yer new neighbor," she said, a thick accent lacing her words as she spoke slowly. Definitely from the east side of the city. "Mah name's Midnight." An apologetic grin spread across her lips. "I know it's weird. Mah ma's hated meh since birth."

Jase blinked, taking a closer look at this woman, but all he could focus on was her pink hair. If it weren't for her normal clothing, Jase might have mistaken her for an AI. While people could dye their hair all sorts of colors, it was unusual. Most wanted to go unnoticed in the swarming city of Smiles.

This woman seemed born to stand out, though.

"Jason Williams," Jase said. "Sorry, it's not more interesting." He offered a sheepish smile, but he knew it was in vain. He'd pulled a gun on this woman. She was always going to think of him as weird. "At least no one will forget you with a name like that."

She laughed, white teeth glinting, surrounded by a halo of pink lipstick. "I suppose yer right," Midnight said, twirling a long and thin strand of hair around her finger. "It's a pleasure tah meet yah, Jason."

Ryenar, Hykelia, and the Twelve Saints, this woman really didn't seem bothered.

Maybe Ghost was right to get away. This woman was something else. "Nice to meet you too," Jase said. "Sorry about... the gun."

"No worries, no worries," Midnight said, with a dismissive wave of her hand. "Better safe than sorry and all that pickles and sauce, y'know?"

Jase snorted. "What is that even supposed to mean?"

"Dunno," Midnight said, rubbing the back of her neck. "Mah ma would always say it so I figured that I oughta say it too."

Jase snorted again. "Would you like to come in?"

"Oh, no, no, I ain't gonna disturb yah like that." She held up the box of cookies again. "I just wanted to be all neighborly and bring yah some freshly baked cookies." Midnight extended the cookies and Jase accepted them, feeling that it would be rude to decline someone who seemed so friendly. Guess it was true what they said about eastern hospitality. "It was a pleasure tah meet yah, Jason."

"You too," Jase said.

Midnight beamed. "Well, I'll be seein' yah soon, yah hear?"

With that, she turned and left and Jase closed the door after her, still smiling. It had been a while since he had a new neighbor. His apartment building wasn't exactly a place that people wanted to move into. Returning to the couch, Jase opened the box of cookies but only wrinkled his nose in disappointment. Raisin. Jase sighed, setting the cookies down. He'd probably give them to Huraira if he remembered.

Ghost came out of Jase's bedroom, a spider clamped in her jaw. Another lovely surprise. Jase wasn't exactly afraid of spiders, but he didn't like the idea of them crawling around his bedroom. But the creepy crawly was long dead and Ghost's tail was thrashing menacingly.

"Good kitty," he said, scratching her head.

His little predator, keeping him safe.

[author's notes]

fun fact, midnight got her name from a perfume (midnight pomegranate) that someone gave me because i thought its scent matched her vibes.