16

I hadn't talked to anyone in awhile. I could say that I was trying to avoid drama, but I'd be lying. I was avoiding my emotions. 

In classes, I sat silently. 

Adam and I didn't talk. We weren't mad at each other, at least I knew I wasn't mad at him. I had no reason to be but he probably had some valid reason for any negative feelings towards me. 

Sometimes Adam and I would just walk silently next to each other to our next class. Other times it would be Connie and Guy or Averman, they were always rambling about something. I liked when they rambled. 

It had only been a couple days of this. It was Wednesday and the Ducks had another game today. Charlie and Fulton still hadn't showed up. 

I looked for them in the hallways but they were never there. 

And Charlie said I was the one who left the Ducks. 

I was here. I was the one sitting them with them at lunch and listening. I was the one at their practices, doing my homework but still supporting them. I was still helping them with homework, or love life issues. Where are you Charlie? 

Not here. 

The final bell of the day rang out and I grabbed my things. I knew the Ducks had a game tonight and I knew I should go but I had an English project to work on so I just went straight to the library. 

I had maybe gotten ten minutes of work done when I saw Averman's blazing hair out of the corner of my eye. I looked over to see Averman walking to sit down next to me. I watched him silently as he unpacked his backpack. 

He looked over at me and smiled widely, "Hi." 

"Hi?" 

He started going through his textbook and taking notes down on his notebook. I was still watching him. Averman never did his homework in the library, it was like a rare moment that I had to take a mental snapshot of. 

Eventually, I stopped watching and went back to my own work. I wanted to get at least a quarter of the work done before moving on to my other classes. 

"Can I ask you something?" Averman asked from next to me.

I answered without looking up, "You just did." 

"What's going on?" 

Now I looked up, "What?" 

"You haven't given me one mean response in the past couple of days. That's not like you, Wren. I just wanted to make sure you were ok. I care about you, you're my best friend." 

I leaned back in my chair, "Les, I-I mean...I just wanted to give everyone some time. My attitude never really helps a situation so I cut it. Charlie and Fulton left, I was letting you guys cope without my constant bitchiness." 

Averman pushed his lips together, in the way that he does, and then looked down at his paper, "Ok, but, it's starting to worry us." 

"I don't see why it would." 

"Because it doesn't feel like you." 

"I'm sorry." 

Averman looks at me again, "You and Adam aren't talking either." 

"What does that have to do with this?" 

"That's not like you either."

I laugh at him and Averman's ears go a slightly redder shade of pink, "Do I really have to explain why Adam and I aren't talking? I was just doing what I do with everyone else. Besides, we do talk. We just haven't been as much."