6

I had to wake up earlier today so I could get all my things settled in my new room. Yay, moving twice in one month. So stoked.

I rubbed my eyes as Gordon drove us to Eden Hall, I was beyond tired and I honestly wasn't sure how I was feeling about this school. They seemed uptight here, especially the person who gave me a tour yesterday. She was in a sweater vest and a school girl skirt. Like please stop.

I was barely keeping myself upright as we carried my things up to my room but when we got to my room I stopped at the door, "Hey, roomie."

Julie turned around and her face broke out into a huge smile, "Oh my god!" She pulled me into a hug, causing me to drop what I was holding. When she let go she grabbed it, "Sorry. I just got excited. I was worried that I was gonna be rooming with some uptight bitch."

Gordon walked into the room, "Language."

Julie and I both rolled our eyes, "So, Wren can curse but I can't?"

Gordon shrugged as he set my things down on my bed, "I couldn't get her to stop." Julie smiles as she sits down on her bed, "Alright. Well, that's everything. I should get going."

"Where are you going?" Julie asked.

Gordon ran a hand through his hair as I answered for him, "Airport, for his fancy new job."

Julie laughed, she was the one who took Gordon leaving the easiest. She got over it quickly, she was still holding a small grudge because he only played her once last year.

"Ok, bye Gordon."

"Bye Wren, Julie. Call me if you need anything."

"Aye, aye captain." I called after him as he left the room.

Julie snorted, "That was so fast. In and out. My parents were crying when they left. I could hardly get them to leave."

I laughed, "Gordon's just like that. No way around it, I guess."

"Well, hello girls." We heard someone say from the doorway. We turned to look at Luis, Dwayne, Russ, and Kenny all standing there. Clearly Dwayne had spoke, his Texan drawl so prominent it felt like a cheesy western movie.

"Hey."

"What are you doing sitting around? Orientation starts in like ten minutes. Let's go." Russ ushered us to get up, going as far as walking into the room and pulling us up by our wrists.

"You know, I think this place is running very low on the brothers quotient." Russ observed as we walked through the campus.

"Yeah." Julie agreed, I nodded along, "Hey, I wanna know who this new Coach Orion is. My dad said that if I didn't like him, I could come right home."

"That's nice," Russ laughed, "My dad said I better stay on scholarship or he'll whoop my butt."

Luis coughed down a laugh next to me and I elbowed him, "You know, I heard in the dorm, the guy played for the Minnesota North Stars and got suspended for punching out his own coach."

"You mean the Dallas Stars." Dwayne butt in, "I heard he punched out a fan."

"I heard he was a Buddhist. You know, like Kung Fu or Richard Gere."

"Kung Fu wasn't a Buddhist. He was a Trappist monk." Kenny informed.

"Are you talking about the old Kung Fu or the Further Adventures of the New Kung Fu?" Russ asked.

"Y'all watch too much TV."

"Shoot, that's the safest thing to do in my hood."

"It's entertainment, Dwayne. What do you do for fun? Build barns?" I teased.

Dwayne's face widened with a smile, "Yeah! Did I tell you about the time I built a farm for my granddaddy? His face just lit up-" The group kept walking, kind of ignoring Dwayne's story.

We had reached the auditorium now, all of us sitting down in front of a group of upperclassmen, "Hey you know what?" One of them asked from behind us, "You Ducks don't belong here at Eden Hall."

"What?" Russ asked, always the first to jump into confrontation. Take it from the wise words of his brother, Russ has a big mouth.

"Hey, easy Russ," Dwayne started, trying to calm Russ down, "They probably just think we're someone else." He reached his hand out to shake one of their hands, "Um, I'm Dwayne. We're the new hockey team. And you are...?"

The kid took his gum out of his mouth, putting it into Dwayne's hand, I almost gagged, "Disgusting." I whispered under my breath.

"Varsity. The only hockey team." The kid from before answered, "State champs. You know, my little brother lost his J.V. slot when they brought you yo-yos here."

"Probably wasn't good enough." Julie antagonized.

I made eye contact with the kid, "You might be state champs, but they're recognized on an international level. Are you?" I tilted my head to the side innocently.

He gave me a dirty look before turning back to Julie, "See, that's my dad." He pointed to an almost completely bald man on the stage, "He's going to get the board to revoke your scholarships. Just you wait."

"That's your dad?" Russ asked, "Nice outfit. Did it come with a yacht?"

The team snickered and the guy with the gum started mocking us and I turned back around, annoyed at them, I looked towards the brunette kid again, "You said you had a little brother, right? Hm, wonder if he's hot."

He shot me another dirty look, "Shut up."

I smiled, "My pleasure, Mr. Varsity." I turned back around to look at the stage, Julie slightly elbowed me as she tried to keep herself from laughing.

The Dean had started his speech awhile back but I was just starting to zone in, "Thus myself, the board, Tom Riley of the alumni association and Varsity Coach Wilson, who has led us to ten consecutive state championships," The students started to cheer for the coach, "we have all made a change for the future. And so today, after much debate on both sides, we proudly open our doors via full scholarships to a truly gifted group of student athletes. So, will you please join me in giving a big rousing Warrior welcome to the gold medal winners of the Junior Goodwill Games-" The Dean was cut off as everyone heard a loud scream come from behind the curtain, that sounded a lot like Goldberg.

Then the curtain fell down. Oh, great. It was Goldberg.

And the rest of the Ducks who had fallen on top of each other.

The students began laughing and looking around at each other in confusion, I just hid my face in my hands. The second hand embarrassment was too strong.

"Hi," Charlie started, "We're the Ducks."

"Oh, god." I whispered. Averman waved from the top of the stage, of course he would.

The assembly was ended and I made my way to the Ducks who were on the stage, Averman turned to greet me, "Hey! Look who it is! Wren! How's it going?"

"So, uh, what the hell was that?" I asked.

Averman smiled weakly, "Our entrance?"

I looked up at the ceiling and put a hand to my forehead, "Of course it was."