8

Adam and I were in the library, I was helping him with the English homework, "Ok, I don't understand why she wants us to annotate our textbooks. That's stupid. How am I even supposed to do that?"

I reach in my bag and pull out a pack of sticky notes, "Use these. If we actually write in the textbooks, they'll probably fine us." Adam grabbed the pack from my hand and pulled one off, sticking it on the page and started to write, "Ok, what could you possibly be writing down on that page?"

Adam started writing on the sticky note then held up his book to me. The note read, This is stupid. I rolled my eyes and grabbed the sticky note off of the page, "You know it is." He grumbled.

"I know."

Adam put his head in his hands, "This place makes me feel stupid. I hate it here."

I grabbed one of his hands, holding it in mine, "We can work through it, as slow as we need. That's fine. But listen, Adam, you're smart. Like really smart. You should be the one tutoring me." He turned his face to me, resting it on one hand, "It's the first day. We'll get into a rhythm. Promise."

"What if we don't?"

"Just don't think of that. We'll be fine. You'll be fine."

Adam sighed moving both of his hands to grab a pen and his notebook, "Fine. What questions are we working on?"

I flipped the page, "All of these."

"All of them? There's two pages worth of questions on here." Adam sighed and put his head down on the table.

"If it makes you feel better, I already did half of them."

Adam groaned, "But there's still a whole other page to do."

I opened my mouth to speak but I was cut off when a group of Varsity boys sat down at the table, I looked up at them and so did Adam, "What are you guys doing here?"

The leader, the Riley kid, looked at Adam, "We just wanted to formally introduce ourselves to you, now that you're on the team we thought it would only be polite."

I snorted, "Yeah, cause you're real polite."

"I'm Rick, this is Cole, and Scooter." Rick pointed to each of the boys as he introduced them, ignoring me, "So, uh, we're throwing a party after the game on Friday. You can bring whoever, as long as it's not one of the Ducks."

"Why not?" Adam asked stupidly.

"They aren't Varsity." Rick answered, standing up. The other boys following him.

"Well, wanna go to a party on Friday then, Wren?" Adam asked me.

"She can't come." Rick quickly interjected.

"Yes, she can." Scooter quickly came to my defense, "Wren's cool. She's not a Duck."

Rick looked me up and down, "Alright. She can go." And with that they all walked away.

"'Wren's cool.' What are you best friends with him now?"

"No, he just helped me with some history work, that's all."

"I saw you two at practice."

I turn towards him, "You sound jealous."

"I am."

"Oh, come on, Adam. It's not like I'm screwing him. He just helped me, that's all. Nothing to it."

"You're helping me. Is there nothing to this?" Adam cocked his head to one side. It felt like he was trying to get me to dig myself a hole and jump in it.

I kissed Adam, "I wouldn't do that with Scooter." Adam smiled stupidly, "Ok, get back to work. Enough distractions."

We worked until we reached the designated time Adam had set with his dad to come pick him up, which was just about an hour.

I walked back to my room to see Julie working on homework, "What are you working on?"

"Math." She answered quickly.

I set my math notebook down on her desk, "Math answers."

She looked up at me, "I love you."

"Yeah, yeah. Don't love me yet because half of those answers are probably wrong."

"I'll check your work."

I laid down on my bed, "Yeah. I know you will."

Julie explained the mistakes to me that she had found in my work until I got annoyed, "Ok, I'm done. I'm going to go get some dinner."

Julie stood up, pushing her chair from the desk, "Perfect timing. I was just about to go down myself."

We left our room and walked down to the cafeteria.

We got our food and sat down, "So, how do you feel about Adam being on Varsity."

"I'm jealous." Julie quickly answered, "I mean, good for him. Super proud, but super jealous. I want to be on Varsity, you know. But also, I feel bad because now he has to deal with Charlie's wrath. Just thinking about it scares me."

I laugh, "I'm already feeling the effects, man. He literally pushed passed me, wouldn't even say a word. Don't know what I did."

"I know." I raised my eyebrows as I took a bite of my food, trying to get her to continue, "Everyone knows you and Adam have a thing. Anything Adam is pissing him off," I throw a carrot at her, "Ok, what was that for?"

"I don't have a thing with Adam."

"Denial is the first stage." I threw another carrot at her, "You can't tell me you and Adam haven't kissed, I was there for two of the times you two kissed. Denial is just stupid at this point."

"That was last year."

"So, you haven't kissed this year."

"Shut up."

"Thought so."

Julie and I finished and went back up to our dorm room, both of us were ranting about the workload. Julie was stressing about maintaining her grades and hockey.

I listened to her rant as I got ready for bed.

She was still talking as we shut the lights off, it didn't bother me. I knew she needed to get it off her chest and what kind of friend would I be if I didn't let her talk.

"Ok, I'm done now." She said, finally finishing her rant, "Sorry about all that."

"Doesn't bother me," I climbed into bed, "Good night."

"Night, Wren."