9

The day had gone by slow again. I was tired but incredibly grateful that it was lunch right now. But, instead of eating with my friends, I was wasting my time talking to my math teacher, "See now look here. This is where you keep messing up. You kept forgetting to change the negative to a positive."

"Yeah, but I don't understand why I have to change it."

Mr. Thompson grabbed my pencil and moved it the problem, "Well look. Both problems are in parentheses but they're being subtracted. So you have to distribute the negative to the second equation so you can write it out and solve it." He started to show me what the problem would look like written out.

"Wait, so why do I give the negative to this set but not that one?"

"Because there's no subtraction sign in front of the first one. If there was, you'd distribute it."

It finally clicked in my head, "Oh!"

"Making more sense?"

"Yeah, thank you Mr. Thompson. I appreciate it."

"Of course, Wren. Come back if you need more help but go an enjoy lunch."

I stood up, putting my things into my back pack, "Thank you, sir."

He nodded at me as I left the room. I liked Mr. Thompson, he was the only teacher who would actually take time out of his day to explain things to me. He didn't make me feel stupid, which was rare when it came to math teachers.

I entered the cafeteria, bumping into Charlie, "Oh, hey Charlie."

He rolled his eyes at me and kept walking, Fulton and Russ following behind him. I shook my head and sat down next to Guy, "What's up, guys?"

Kenny sat down next to us, "They stole my lunch again."

I moved my tray towards him, "You can have mine. I'm not really hungry anyways."

"Thanks."

"Of course."

Full honesty, I liked Kenny a little more than everyone. He was always super respectful and sweet, even when he got mad at us. He never made belittling comments either, some of the other guys did, they just didn't realize what they were doing.

I looked around at the table, "Where's Adam?"

Averman gestured over to where the Varsity players were sat at, "Where else would he be?"

I scoffed and stood up, walking over to the table, Adam turned and saw me, smiling, "Hey, Wren."

"Why aren't you sitting with us?"

Cole answered for him, "He's sitting with the big boys now. He doesn't need to waste his time with little Duck games."

I rolled my eyes, "You're an idiot. You know that, Cole?"

Cole's face dropped, "Hey, don't call me an idiot."

"I'll call you whatever I want." I turned back to Adam, "C'mon, come sit with us."

He looked around at the table, all the Varsity players were staring at us, "I-I can't."

"Right." I sighed and left him, he called after me but I just ignored him. I took my seat between Guy and Kenny as I saw Charlie walk past the Varsity table.

Cole and Rick immediately grabbed Charlie's lunch and I rolled my eyes, whatever he was doing, I didn't want to be a part of it. I focused on my friends again, listening to them talk about whatever thing was on their minds.

There was a big commotion as the three started running, the Varsity team running after them. We all turned to look at what was happening. The team started to run after everyone so I got up and followed them, not sure where this was leading.