35

CHAPTER 35:

The candidates chosen for Nocturne's tournaments were given a grand departure by the rest of the school. Leading us was the Legion crew, straight towards the elongated black luxury bus that could comfortably accommodate all twelve candidates, Legion, Rowan Argon of House of Shadows and Headmaster Hale herself.

I didn't meet Athena's lingering eyes while she stands with her daughter eerily close against her, and that spell-binder that rarely talked in this realm. I wanted something so badly from Athena that I thought I could trust her. She'd helped me run from her own brother after all, but I could never guarantee her loyalty.

Not with me or for me at least.

The rippling applause from the other students echoed after the final preparation for departure were made and Headmaster Hale gestured for us to follow her onto the bus.

Our luggage was already on the bus, "Today, we bid fair-well and good luck to the twelve chosen candidates who will represent Nocturne Academy at the prestigious High Kingdom Elemental Trials." The announcement blasted over us, war drums echoed and lit up trepidation and anticipation among us all. Even the seniors masked their expressions to hide the nervous glances they share amongst friends they made. Having juniors on the team must also be rather disconcerting.

I did feel that bundle of butterflies low in my belly, threatening to flutter harder the closer I get to the bus. Before we're hidden by the tinted windows and the bus moves off the stone entrance to Nocturne. Hale and Rowan moved into a pair of private cubicles while the seniors sat opposite the Legion crew. I was thankful when Serenity sat in front of me, with Elrond next to her, Genevieve next to me and Taylor next to a few seniors. None of which who were close with Legion.

"How long does it take to get there?" I questioned aloud.

"A few hours." Genevieve murmured in next to me.

Nocturne disappeared from view after twenty minutes when the mountains lowered to a flat set of road.

The rest of the bus was silent, no one wished to talk. Except no one pulled out devices to distract themselves from their nerves. Most of the seniors on this bus looked tough and harshly-toned, as if they had trained for this, for their own tournaments. I knew seniors were split up from juniors in a series of games. The reason why they were split up was beyond me.

Hale's door suddenly opens, the students straighten while she eyes me, "Celestine, a word." She gestured for me. Genevieve shivers, but stands up from her seat to let me through, when I get up and move forward, Creed's ember eyes penetrate mine.

I move from one dip of the shoulder to the next almost in slow motion, with a breathy aura. I felt no fear when I looked at him. The assurance wasn't the same in his expression, he was studying me, or memorising me. That look has always appeared the same.

I moved inside Hale's room and frowned at the suit hanging on the wall. The fabric was glistening in magic, I could taste it in the air around it and immediately reached for it, "If and when you shift in the games, you should wear this armour, I have ensured its functions to slip back on when you shift back into your human form. It will be helpful out in the field." She explained behind me.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "You had it made?" I breathed out.

"Yes, because I believe in what you're fighting for. I know the path you walk is a dangerous one, Celestine Leviathan, but it is one you must walk to achieve what you want and bring back balance to our realm." She murmured, taking a seat in the comfortable soft fabric of the chair in the corner, her cloak draped over the side once she reveals the dark purple fabric with the crest of Nocturne burned into her flesh against her collarbone.