09

CHAPTER 09:

The ball was still underway when Rowan strutted into the spacious, ancient office that had an arched ceiling. Athena still wasn't in here and neither was Headmaster Hale. Rowan snatches away the folder I had as I glare at him, but meet Creed's astute eyes, "Can you hack cameras? Is that how you're able to get around undetected?" He asks me slowly. No longer in a cuddly mood, I guess after seeing what I just did, I wouldn't be either.

Rowan scoffs, "This is nothing. They literally have nothing."

"Probably because we set Houser up." Credence mutters as I watch Lucian and himself sit at the comfortable couches. And three other males I came to know as Hayden Khan, Reid Sly and Theorin Thorn, all of them extreme high guards of the crown, the one situated here that is.

Rowan faces me, "You will have to let us in on your work now that we know." He snaps, Creed gives him a warning look as each of them drop into their seats by the couches, I heard the strange, alluring music from down below and slowly moved to the window of Hale's office, it showed a court room ball with clear view of ball and everyone in it.

I remove the clips from my hair, breathing silently but still inhaling the air. I felt eyes on me from behind, but I ignore them, listening to the Celtic songs and closing my eyes at it. It's breathtakingly enchanting. The door opens and Headmaster Hale's presence couldn't be ignored as she steps in, but no Athena, "Professor Athena is forced to handle the ball while I have to deal with the mess one student appears to be able to make." She says lowly, I look to her and she stares me down. I'm not deterred. I was helping her ridiculous school, if anything, she should be grateful.

Rowan places the folder on her desk, "She left school grounds to impersonate a professor from the Lúthien Academy to manipulate a professor at the Melian Academy. We followed the student for protective purposes, only to see she used—Headmaster Hale?" He questions slowly as Hale studies me but holds a hand up to stop Rowan for a moment.

She opens the folder and glances over the paperwork, "The job you discovered and Athena had tasked you, I don't see what the problem here is when this student is Athena's apprentice. She is showing more promise than any other student and you called me here to speak of her for punishment? For protecting this school better than you are doing as of right now?" She questions him and the one-eighty made me look to Rowan, even Legion stare at the Headmaster, frozen by her status change.

"All Legion members and you, Professor Rowan, can leave and return to the party. I would like to amend the student's efforts in making the school better and being challenged by a professor and our most prestigious elite that should be impressed by her work, not suspicious of it." She spits, slamming the folder down, moving to the door and waiting for them all to get out.

Rowan stares at her, "Hale, I don't understand why you're—"

"Do not question me, you can go. This will not be brought up again. You'll remove Celeste Caesar's name as first contestant and you'll do so immediately." She orders, directing them and I stare at the Headmaster, what the hell did Athena tell her? Rowan, a pale vampire that steps out of the room last, after Creed's ember eyes hold mine and I fold my arms, staring up at him. He steps out first. Once they're all out, Hale closes the door and whispers an incantation under her breath, making the entire office...soundproof.

She stares at me for a long time, "Would you like a drink?" She asks me.

I stare at her, "What has Professor Athena told you?" I ask her, slowly.

She grabs a glass, pours some sort of whiskey inside, at least it looked like whiskey, "You've been abused by your foster father, you've worked in Athena's care long enough to understand how to unravel secrets and Athena—I trust her more than I have ever trusted anyone. When it came to my attention that Athena helped you, and with what you're doing, it's helped us more than even Rowan has, and it's challenged him. I sure cannot argue with that." She smiles, sitting at her desk, staring only at me.