26

CHAPTER 26:

"That was insane. You were insane!" Genevieve squeals, hand on my arm as we walk through the night after more class and into the main dinner hall. It looked like a snowy Christmas miracle, except for the fact it wasn't Christmas. Wooden chandeliers hung with candles strung alit and drums and crazy violin music played on the side stage as roast meats, vegetables, greens and ale by the looks of it was transformed into quite a feast for all the students. As opposed to the modern look-a-like of a combat training centre of white, grey and black colours scouring our surroundings.

"I made a deck of cards." I giggle, sharing her excitement with gratitude in my lungs that could barely reach my throat when I meet the hot and heated look Creed shares with me when I see him in the Legion standing which was a level higher than ours.

Genevieve sees it and squeals like a fan girl as she sees the exchange. I turn away first after he dips his head and gives me another long look.

His stare can be intimidating to all others, but to me—it meant I would have my back slammed to a wall later and his taste consuming my every thought...hopefully. Who knows. He made me forget why I was here and who else of my past was here too and I held onto that.

Headmaster Hale was a different story, she looked tense, like something was about to happen and that this feast was some sort of 'last night of freedom' type of dinner. Genevieve and I take our seats among other students of different years, ignoring the way Elrond looked at her from across the room and piling hot food on our plates. She seemed more invested in the vegetables, especially the beans.

The doors suddenly slammed open and in confusion, I didn't catch Genevieve's gaping gasp at the entrance of an older women with an eye for beauty move into the room with cut-throat precision and an even sharper tongue when she purses her glossy reddish pink lips. Blue eyes narrowed and golden blonde hair that cascade in enriched ringlets down her hourglass body.

This can't be good.

She must have been the infamous

I realised I was looking at a headmaster of Lúthien Academy, the all-girls-school where I'd used a cover, Cassie Swan, to infiltrate Melian on that mission Houser Lott was involved in. Passing information through like typical gossip girls except without phones.

She clearly wanted a meeting with Hale, and only an audience of her arrival, but not the exact information she wanted to either dish or put or demand like a Queen of some kind. I didn't doubt she wanted something—if her arrival didn't scream it, then her narrowed eyes, pursed lips and overall taut expression certainly did.

Pearl Forlorn, headmaster of a school that took pride in girls using whatever means necessary to get what they want. It almost seemed threatening, damning in some cases, but nothing I haven't seen before, until she snaps her eyes around and finds the person she wanted to interrogate.

Her death glare was tied deeply on me.

I take a sip of my drink, "If you don't mind, Miss Swan, I need a private moment with you." Her witch-like voice was hissing, she was aggressively pissed off. Likely threatened, Hale watched us both, so did Legion, so did other professors and every student in the vicinity.

I give an easy smile to her and stand, before gesturing a hand to the exit.

She folds her arms, eyes narrowing on me, "Have we met before?" She questions me. Like it was strange, a déjà vu knock to the brain. Like someone scrambled for a memory within and wanted to identify every picture, frame-by-frame.