29

Author's Note: Hello my lovely readers, thank you all so much for being patient. I know my updates have not been consistent and take a lot of time between updates. I have had writer's block with this series because every chapter I publish, I want to run well with the story's plot and I want to do right by my readers. I am also writing more in my main account on wattpad. Please, all I ask is that you be patient. I have not forgotten about this series, I'm brainstorming more ideas for it. Thank you so much.

CHAPTER 29:

I couldn't claim I knew the protocol of rider's and their dragon's. Its a bond shared between rider and dragon, its not a mate bond or guardian bond or an oath sworn to protect the other with their life. That's more unspeakable, unavoidable.

This type of bond is where a creature of the ancient worlds before dinosaurs walked the human realm, gives their minds, wings and trust in a human, or an elemental. The latter being more likely since I haven't seen one human successfully communicate with a dragon in the human realm. The very idea of humans flying over New York, or bend over London like it was just another Wednesday.

Rakon lowers his sharp black talons to slip onto harsh wet rock. Molten colouring sprinkled over the sleek jet black rock once we land in a humid environment. I spin on him, ready to demand what he thought he was doing when my eyes widen at the flicking books of red and orange behind us both.

"What have you done, Rakon?" My whisper ends on deaf ears the moment he throws his head back in a whoosh of air and wind the moment he flaps his wings. The armour he wore was an unbreakable black and red structure that made those scales of his shimmer as he roars a signal which travels miles along the sleek rock.

I cup hands over my ears.

It's a silent song in the atmosphere, weaving like strands of grass, a snake moving in zig-zag formations, nothing similar otherwise it's prey is alerted. I catch whipping of wings roaming the skies, "What the hell have you done, Rakon?" I bleed out. Trying to get the beast to listen, instead I receive a stare so intense that it almost matched Creed's, his true dragon rider.

If I moved, I could risk slipping into popping magma, the kind of red hot rage in the element that thrummed between my blood cells, the way it ran in stream. Like I could connect to the very nature around me in a way I've never been able to before.

Dragons dive from the sky, signalled by...Rakon.

I leap for his talons, "What are you doing?! We have to go back, Rakon! Take me back!" I instruct the menacing creature in the form of a gigantic, hyperbolised lizard with magnificent wings. He grabs me the way an insolent child grabs its doll for tea and trinkets at the table. I yelp against the stiff, bony skin underneath me. He clutches me, but not to squish or crunch, to hold.

I pause in horror at a large thump behind us.

Crunch.

Thud.

Thud.

Crunch.

There were bones of creatures I had never come across that provide a lethal walk for the dragon that seeps out of the shadows into the view that obscures dragons around us all. There were dozens of coloured dragons, shining like gems with unpolished ash and soot from the volcanic eruptions flashing around the very kingdom made of black shadows and coal mines inserted as tunnels underneath.

I grip the claw that could rips out hearts the longer I watched a dragon wolf silver moonlight, walk with power under its claws. Muscular and beautiful, able to manipulate shadow and light.

Skyling of House whose name ahead dissolved in books, but I saw one of Creed's infamous diaries once, a diary of the old riders and dragons that flew through realms. An ancient walking soul, transformed from warrior to predator. I breathe heavy the longer I look at the black and blue eyes the shape of gems and diamonds move and sniff the air, "The heir of Leviathan returns to her keep. I wondered when we would be smelling your blood again."