27

CHAPTER 27:

Algae grew in structured formations—everyone thought there had to be a pattern to it, like the veins in the human body, or even the magical body. There should have been a pattern to trace, to understand. However, according to Genevieve, there was no such prediction. Vine-making and shattering of soil looked really amusing when you wanted to simply wind down after a horrible day, week, month, year...life.

Genevieve decorates a beautiful city for the creatures down below the pier we sat on, "Hale is still with Pearl." I overhear a deep voice behind us. Elrond leans on one of the wooden pillars, eyes on Genevieve—who doesn't bother turning around to look at him or Serenity or Taylor.

"Discussing what?" I answer with.

Elrond takes a seat behind Genevieve and she holds a steady gaze on the water. I run my eyes over the sky, where Rakon takes training to a whole new level with their airborne training course fluttering the riders about with their notions.

I run my fingers over my scalp, "Need a massage?" Taylor wonders.

I glance at him, "Don't come onto me. I'm dead serious right now. First impressions last lifetimes and I'm not looking at anyone but Creed." I make extremely clear.

He leans on his knees, "As a friend." He offers.

I shake my head, "I have no idea where those hands have been. What are you all doing here anyway? I thought this was your intense training marathon or whatever before you begin setting up the real sessions lining up to the tournaments in central kingdom of all lands." I mutter, dropping back against a pole.

Genevieve looks up to me from her paused work, "They follow me like magnets, remember?"

Elrond tsk's at her, "Easy now, we don't."

"Then you're in denial." Genevieve bites at him. He narrows his gleaming eyes in her direction before noticing that I'm surveying the two of them in a calm and collected manner.

Serenity gives me a weirded out look, "You alright? You look...dead inside." She so eloquently tells me.

I blink and look up to the sky again, "I found out that one fake bond made to a male I knew growing up was used to drain my years of life to give him more years to live. Creed took care of it, the ever-lasting hero that he is...but I'm struggling trusting any guy at the moment." I mumble.

Genevieve faces me, "Which is why us girls can talk it over with you. Well, I can. Serenity isn't..how shall I put it—acquainted with basic decency." She situates.

Serenity flips her the bird, "Basic decency is my middle name."

"Granted with the middle finger, excellent choice." Genevieve tells her, eyes moving back to me. She sighs in defeat, folding her arms.

"You went from no boys growing up to three screwed up men and one good man who's still in the trial period because you're wary—I take it?" She confirms, I nod to her, it summed it up quite nicely. In an uncoordinated, stiff bow with too many crinkles and not enough shine to it.

"Creed's a complicated, but loyal soldier. Once you understand how he operates, it's simple and efficient to learn and trust him." Elrond explains to me.