"The board?" I whisper.

He nods, "So, you are the heiress who came to light. Very well then, if you wish to write my story, I need something in return." He says, keeping his hand on my arm.

I bow my head to him—between us, "Anything, your majesty."

"Your company." He states.

I look up, "My business—do you wish to own shares—" He cuts me off.

"No, I do mean your physical company."

I feign a blush, "To serve you..." I ask next, raising a brow.

He rolls his eyes, "No, woman. You are to accompany on the journey of these upcoming events. What I have to say about my life and...the woman who held my heart. Something that won't change." What a delusion. He removes his hand from me and I almost sigh in relief, sagging my shoulders, I nod to him, as if saddened by the fact he didn't want me for a warm bed—thank fuck, that would've revealed me far sooner than I want.

"Of course, your majesty." I bow to him again, he waves it off before four clan members from the other side of the room leans down and tells him a security breach in the top floor was located, and that there were guests present who might still be on the premises. Nicolai and Robert excuse themselves before Alastair moves seats and drops in next to me.

He stares at me, "You are an intriguing piece of art, aren't you?"

I felt something brewing between the air particles dancing around us, "Go suck a spear icicle." I mutter to him.

Reina raises an eyebrow, she overheard that before two women lean into her personal space and then she's asked for a shared, Daisy-chain dance at the dance floor. Alastair leans in, "Careful, you may give yourself away."

"Where's my men?" I question him, looking for Theorin and Hayden. Even Reid. None were in my sights—what the hell is going on? Athena didn't know, and I hadn't planned on telling her that Creed and his forces were around.

"Your men? How odd? Why would dragon riders belong to you? Oh, I see—you've strung along another man?" He murmurs, reaching for a brunette strand.

I hold in a snarl and slap his hand away. He grips it and ice flares like oddly cool and collected ornaments that chime around me. His ice magic was barely on and he had power thrumming in his veins. I just never anticipated this much.

In fact, I didn't anticipate him at all, "Why are you here?" I question him.

"I should be asking you that. Someone's been making problems that screw with my plans. The point tonight was to poison the son of a bitch who took my brother from me. My plans changed when a certain blondie died without fighting."

I snort and look at him, "Feel any guilt for that, you certainly were a part of it."

He narrows those blue eyes, "Guilt? You infiltrated and changed the outcome of the very reason I walked this infestation of a realm. Humans like insects that keep getting in the way. Insets may live and survive, but they cannot touch what other realms have known for centuries—even millennials. You—are something else entirely. I was wrong to use you." He says, nudging his head to me.

"You we're barely a being in my world. What's an apology to a stranger—nothing. As is your existence." I tell him, standing off the seat and moving away, fisting my hands, I draw past Serena and the clan around her, she pauses, looks over but her eyes brush over me when I mutter a small sorry—considering we weren't entirely strangers, but in this image—I was that. A complete stranger.

I would've been able to head straight to the elevator doors except Robert's form appeared behind the doors, Nicolai did too, behind him and glanced at me, eyebrows furrowed, "I didn't finish the story yet, here—we can vacate to the couches." He gestures to them.