Chapter 22

Maven does a circle overhead on Osarion, swooping lower and lower.

The already dark sky takes on a thunder cloud grey, the tone mingling with the navy expanse of the night.

Maven lays the flat of his palm on a flat spot on the scales of Osarion's back.

He ushers the command in his native tongue.

"Incaendo."

Osarion summons the dragon fire straight from his core and sends forth a rapture of bright azure flame, hotter than any natural fire possible.

When Osarion inhales, a sonic high pitched whistle zips across the open yard followed by the sound of an eruption as the stream of pure blue lays waste to everything below.

The floor lights up, the straw coloured courtyard instantly blackening.

Maven just continues burning and burning, back and forth.

He circles the Guard, immobilising them.

He stretches out his fingers and rises the flames so high they kiss the clouds and ferocious fire tornadoes begin to form, spreading raw and unfiltered heat radiating in waves.

Farley, Cleo and Cal are stunned as they watch in horror and awe.

They are in a precarious position, the smoke and fire closing in fast.

Cal is forced into action, he swings away the blue fire that pushes against them, deflecting whirls of it.

His gold eyes focus.

He gets closer, he is the only one that can.

He feels hot like he has never felt hot before, a sheen on his forehead.

It was a new feeling.

He ignores it, all he can do now is protect the others and he creates a pocket of space unperturbed by the ravenous dragon fire.

Maven loses himself for a bit, enjoying letting go.

All the weeks of pent up rage and anger, he releases now.

Osarion is bullet fast, still breathing overlapping arcs of fire obeying Maven's will.

Burn. Burn. Burn.

Maven glances down, his vision razor sharp and him and Cal's eyes meet through the smoke, haze and slight bits of ash which luminesce a cold blue.

"Stop this, Maven."

Cal speaks, as if Maven will hear him.

Somehow, it works, Maven orders Osarion down, coming back to his senses.

He had things to do, here.

Maven descends and lands gracefully, as Osarion flaps his jet-black wings revealing the red underside.

The force of it is so strong that the waves of flames ebb and bow.

Osarion's neck stretches out and his reptilian eyes blink venomously at the others.

Maven faces off against his opposition, the remains of the prison is in his line of vision and his back is to the surrounding forest and foliage.

The menacing faceless Palace troops emerge from the surrounding greenery like snakes.

They are in their suits of armour more suited to covert missions.

Their black scorched armour is slimmer, and they march into formation as they coalesce behind their Dragon King.