Chapter 2

Morning came.

First Cal was called out from the bunker, leaving Kaida alone.

Hours passed until Elias came to fetch her.

He handed Kaida a toothbrush, toothpaste, a bottle of water and some oil all neatly placed on top of a folded fresh set of clothes.

"Farley and the others want to speak with you. I brought you a change of clothes, some boots and some stuff for you to freshen up with."

Elias handed the things over.

"Thank you."

Kaida appreciated it. It was cold, her dress felt heavy and she didn't want to meet new people looking haggard.

"There's a sink in the corner, it's rusty but it works. When you're done, just come straight out."

Kaida nodded and let him leave.

She stripped out of the gown, and changed into the loose top she was given. It was a crisp linen and she tied it tightly around her waist.

The bottoms were a tight black material with many pockets, to match the heavy boots Elias had given her.

He had gotten her size correct.

Kaida let her hair completely down, letting the coiled strands run free.

She sat to lace her shoes up, meticulously tying them in the same way she always does. 

Then she stood, with a jump. These clothes reminded her of what she used to wear on her father's ship, after months at sea.

It seemed like a decade ago now.

Elias was right, the sink in the corner looked decrepit, blending into the dark metallic background of the bunker.

Surprisingly, the water that came running out of it was ice cold and crystal clear.

Kaida brushed, zoning out.

She thought of her father, would he have returned by now? And of the rest of her family, her mother and two brothers.

What were they up to?

Kaida knew they wouldn't worry too much about her, she was old enough to take care of herself, wherever she was.

But they all missed each other, there was no doubt about that.

They had to trust Kaida.

Kaida splashed her face quickly, let it dry and smoothed some oil over her face and hands, although not too much.

It smelt of olives...and faintly of Elias.

Finally, she walked up to the bunker door and it had been left slightly ajar.

She pushed at it, to discover Elias on the other side.

He gave her a once-over.

"You look like you did when I first met you. C'mon, let's go."

He didn't even give her time to respond before he started leading.

As soon as Kaida stepped out, she squinted, adjusting to the bright light of the morning sun.

In the daylight, the island was teeming with life.