No Goodbye

Ben, his parents and brother arrived at the hospital and Ben sprinted into the ER looking for Miranda. Ben saw William in the waiting area and he ran up to him.

"Mr. Bailey where is she?" He asked pleading.

William looked up at him with anger in his eyes. "If it wasn't for you my daughter wouldn't even have had a reason to run across the street acting as if she'd lost her damn mind," William yelled at Ben as he stood up and walked towards him.

Ben felt rage building up and he balled up his fist but suddenly David got in between them and got into Williams face.

"Don't you ever raise your voice at my son again when it's obvious the problem was you. Now are you going to let my son see your daughter or not?" David said through his teeth trying to remain calm.

"No he cannot so leave," William said sternly.

David turned to leave and Ben just stood there staring. "Dad I want to see Miranda, WANT TO SEE MIRANDA," Ben yelled as Janice slowly pulled her son out of the hospital.

Miranda had been unconscious for the past week from a  severe concussion and Elaina hadn't left her side. William only felt comfortable checking in on her through the glass window. He did feel somewhat responsible for his daughters predicament but he just wanted what he thought was best.

Miranda baby wake up, I need you to wake up. "Hmmm I'm up Ben," Miranda mumbled.

Elaina sat up in the chair that had become her bed since Miranda had been there for the past week. "Mandy you waking up baby girl," Elaina cooed. Elaina called William to come to the hospital and when he came she came out of the room to talk to him.

"I heard her mumbling to herself and the doctors said she's waking up," Elaina said excited.

William smiled slightly, "that's good I'm glad she's finally waking up. Ummm I arranged for us to just go ahead to North Carolina and I come back when necessary to get things straight with the house. I just think that it's best for her healing that when she gets out of here that she not have to go back to the house," William informed Elaina.

Elaina's face dropped in sadness because Miranda wouldn't be able to say goodbye to Ben.  But Elaina knew her husband was stubborn and proud so there was no point in arguing.

"Ben, Ben, I'm awake," Miranda said louder from her room. Miranda opened her eyes and her body ached, she looked down at her leg and saw that it was in a cast. Miranda's eyes began to water immediately when she remembered what happened to her and that Ben wasn't in the room with her.
****
Miranda leaned her head against the glass and stared out the window of the car as she and her parents took the five hour drive to North Carolina. They were going straight to the house that her dad had one of her uncles check out and get for them. When she was released from the hospital and asked to say goodbye to Ben her dad refused because they had to "go ahead and leave".

Miranda hadn't spoken the whole car ride and Elaina just watched her daughter through the rear view mirror. She was sad for what her daughter was having to endure but felt she couldn't do anything about it.

Ben had been a wreck since the accident and when William wouldn't let him see Miranda. His parents decided to let him have the rest of the week off from school so that he could process his feelings. Ben laid in his bed in the basement all day feelings completely numb because Miranda still hadn't woken up and he couldn't even be there with her. Elaina was nice enough to keep him informed through his parents  that  Miranda was awake when she went to the house to pack their things. Elaina didn't tell them that Miranda was asking for Ben because she knew that would set him off.

Ben hoped that they would bring her to the house so that he could see her so he sat in his room upstairs and looked out the window hoping to see them pull up. But all he ever saw was Mr. Bailey and movers coming to get their things. The last time he saw him was when he took suitcases, put them in their car and that was the last time he saw anyone come to the house.