Chapter 32: Pre-Trial

Start from the beginning

I heard a soft thud of the car door behind me as I strode away and towards the entrance door of our parent's mansion.

I absentmindedly shook my head. My mind still wrapping around the news. "He was indeed a very infamous back then," I murmured. And the thought that Aunt Enna's estranged brother getting his revenge through Clara Bell, fresh waves of anger shot through me.

"Mr. Bermudez is trying to get his revenge through her," I seethed with anger rolling through me.

"I believe so," Langdon replied briefly.

"Listen, Langdon. I will be flying to LA tonight. I need you to pick me up at the tarmac and while waiting, trace Ms. Preira's whereabout. I'm going to give her a visit," I ordered.

"Noted, Sir," came his reply. I heard shuffling sounds in the background as I ended the call.

My eyes dropped on the screen and it was Cornick, trying to reach me but I was on another call, so he just sent an email.

I decided to call my secretary, Emily. Emily replaced Andrea, my dad's long time secretary. When dad passed down the company to me, she also retired.

The call connected.

"Stavros Demakis Of—"

"Emily, it's me," I started cutting through her sentences. I climbed up the wide brick up-steps that lead to the front double door of our mansion and rang the bell.

I could feel Emily panicking on the other line. "I'm leaving to LA tonight. I need you to contact the Victoria Secret CEO and connect me to her as soon as you reach her. And also, I'm gonna fax you some photos, I need you make copies of each men, and send it to their places, ASAP. I will email you their names and find their addresses. It shouldn't be hard as they are elites,"

"Copy, Sir."

I ended the call. I tapped on my cellphone screen while waiting for the door to open. Opening the first email on my inbox, and then started reading Cornick's email.

...

Los Angeles, California.

Two days later...

I was staring at the scene below through the glass wall over 200 ft tall. The morning star appeared brightly, a golden blanket that stretched out across the horizon. Warm rays like a golden arms embracing the small and towering buildings, bustling cars and hustling people in every direction, an everyday scene I am so familiar with.

My mind was brought back to why I was here. This is the last place I wanna be, and a sick feeling swirled in my stomach. I dreaded to come here but there are things I need to get it done. One thing is to get the truth out of her mouth.

I had to wait for two days before I see her. I know she had been hiding from me, from us.

"Alex!"

I turned to face that excited voice, choking back that anger that's about to resurface. My jaws tightened as I watched Claire bounced towards me. Her face filled with greasepaint that looks almost like a mud smothered on her face.

"What a nice surprise!" she exclaimed as she flung herself onto me, I was taken aback, but my legs instinctively stepped backward. Our bodies didn't connect but I caught her on her arms before she fall, though I should have let her, but then it is not how I was raised.

"I know you will come back," she giggled and my eyebrows darted together. I quickly dropped her hands and buried them inside my black trouser's pockets before I grab her neck.

As soon as she saw the seriousness on my face, her smile disappeared.

"I'm not here for you," I said through gritted teeth. "You know why I am here." I stated bluntly not caring that glint of sadness that briefly crossed her eyes.