Birthday Surprises Part Two

Cassie felt a buzz in the air all morning during rehearsals. Several people even thought to bring her small gifts, except Thomas, whose wife baked chocolate bits biscuits...approximately ten dozen—their sons helped themselves to several, "taste-testing" they called it. Julia had enlightened him that they were her favorite when he had inquired. His wife had spent an entire morning in a library trying to find a suitable American-style recipe and then converting all of the measurements...quite the task. Nearly everyone in the orchestra would have a guest in attendance for the birthday festivities. A local restaurant catered the event. Cassie thought she would die when the Maestro announced that they would be working through lunch. The entire orchestra groaned their displeasure and Cassie almost cried...there was no way that she and Sirius would be able to wait until after seven to eat.

During a break, Cassie approached Sirius and asked if he would mind popping out to grab a little bit of take out. He refused, citing that he would not leave his post.

"BUT I'M DYING HERE!"

"You're not dying," he said beneath his breath. "Besides, they're going to have a party for you." He rolled his eyes at having felt coerced into relaying a secret.

"Really?"

"Yes. And you had better act surprised? Anyway, who do you think all those biscuits are for?"

"I will—"

"I mean it, Dee."

"Or what?"

"Or I'll—I'll—"

"Yes?"

"I'll zap you when we get back to the hotel."

"Oooo—I'm sooooo a-scared!"

He chuckled uneasily. "Uh huh. You better be. Now go on. Go—play something. Isn't that what you're getting paid to do?"

She backed away and stuck her tongue and he sneered, balling up his fist and shaking it at his side. Giggling, she turned away then headed for stage right and dropped her bow. She bent down to retrieve it, aware that he was watching her.

"Damn girl," he said under his breath, "I hate to see you go, but I sure do love to watch you walk away." He sighed happily and plopped into a theatre chair.

The orchestra returned from their break and settled into what was to be the last piece rehearsed for the day. They would start only to stop minutes later. This went on for about forty-five minutes. Sirius checked his pocket watch...the maestro would call for another break shortly and then, he was on.

Suddenly, the maestro called an end to the piece and to put it "away." They were to retrieve the piece that he had given them a week ago. Cassie was in a panic. She received no sheet music. She leaned over and got Julie's attention. "I don't have it," she whispered in a panic.

"Don't worry—you know the material—inside and out."

"What?"

Thomas elbowed her and motioned to the Maestro. He was talking to her, instructing her to go sit behind the kit.

"Sir?"

"Did I stutter, Miss leBlanc?"

"The kit, get behind it. I heard you, but—why? I'm a cellist."

"That remains to be seen," he said stiffly.

She stuttered, "okay."

"Okay, what?"

"I'm going, Sir."

"Today, I hope?"

"Yes, Sir."