The Boy Who Lived

October 31, 1981

October 31, 1981

"Your hair is fine, Dee!"

"The braid isn't straight," she fretted.

Sirius rolled his eyes. "Come on, we're going to be late--you're the one who promised to help him set up--"

"I know, I know!" She eyed him hard in the mirror. "Will you fix it please? You know it's gonna drive me nuts if it ain't right!"

Sirius sighed as he un-braided her hair for a fourth time. "Fuck this--we don't have the time," he said shaking his head and pointed his wand and closed his eyes tightly, scrunched his face and turned his head, and pointing his wand, he gently zapped at her head and heard her yelp. He opened one eye and then the other. Cassie's eyes were like golf balls and finally he smiled and nodded. She grabbed the mirror quickly and turned to face him with knives in her eyes as she swatted at him. She held the hand mirror up and looked at the braid in the large mirror; not only was it straight, but it was elaborate with tiny flowers and thin golden ribbons braided along with her hair.

Sirius looked smug. "Can we leave now?"

"Yes," she said flatly. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," he said grinning. "Just doin' m'duty, ma'am!"

"Your duty!"

"Well, yeah--James' dad told me once that 'if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy'."

She nodded. "Sage advice. I suggest you adhere to it," she said as she grinned and donned her cloak.

Sirius chuckled. "Yes dear."

Sirius and Cassie were dressed and eager to go on a real date on a Saturday night and leave home to attend Kingsley Shacklebolt's Halloween costume party. The theme was History's Famous Couples and they decided to attend as Romeo and Juliet. They had disapparated to Kingsley's home to join the festivities.

During the apparation process, Sirius heard Cassie scream and felt her body become limp. His only recourse was to continue with the disapparation process and make it to their destination. He prayed that she had not been splinched.

Once they arrived in Kingsley's foyer, he gently lay her to the floor and knelt down beside her and examined her for injuries and finding none, he looked up to find that there was nearly no one at the party, save one or two couples who had arrived early to help Kingsley finish setting up, and were busy placing decorations all over his house...the man gave them cart blanch to decorate any way they chose.

Kingsley walked by his foyer to see Sirius kneeling on the floor next to Cassie and he rushed over.

"What happened? Is she alright?"

"I don't know," Sirius said, fear all over his face and in his voice. "I can't hear her!"

Kingsley reached down and checked for a pulse and watched her chest for breathing. He also checked for injuries and finding none, he suggested that they get her off the floor and move her to the sofa. Alice Longbottom brought over a compress and placed it over her brow.