𝟬𝟭𝟰.

RAMONA AND TEDDY WERE JUST HAVING FUN, their drinks in their hands as they admired the city of lights. "Astrid," Theodore mused as Ramona faltered. 

"I'm Ramona," 

"No, I meant Astrid's here," Theodore snorted as Ramona moved her head around to see Astrid standing there in a white dress. 

"Let's go say hi to my favourite Ostrich!" Ramona beamed, dragging him over to say hi to her cousin. Just as she got to her, Nick suddenly cut in front of her and, wrapped her in a warm embrace.

"Astrid! What the hell are you doing here?" Nick said excitedly.

"I'm here too!" Ramona announced, jumping onto Astrid like a little kid, "I missed you so much Ostrich!" 

"Nicky! Romi!" Astrid squealed. "But I thought you guys, Rachel, and Teddy, were in China."

Ramona grinned, "We were, but we flew to Paris on the spur of the moment with Rachel's brother and some new friends. Oh, speak of the devil, here's Carlton. Carlton, this is my cousin Astrid from Singapore."

"Pleasure to meet you." Astrid extended her hand to Carlton

"And this is my great friend, Mehmet," Nick said, introducing Carlton. "You rascal—what are you doing hanging out with my cousin in Paris?"

Mehmet patted Nick on the back heartily. "It's a complete coincidence! I'm here on business, and we ran into each other at Le Voltaire. I was sitting down at a lunch meeting and who should come through the door but Charlotte Gainsbourg...with Astrid! Of course, I had to say hello—I couldn't resist making all my associates sick with envy. Then Astrid invited me to dinner, and I talked her into making this pit stop."

By this point, Rachel and Colette had joined the group. "Astrid! Mehmet? This can't be happening!" Rachel shrieked, hugging both of them in utter delight.

Colette was introduced all around, and she couldn't help but scrutinize every inch of Astrid. So this was the couture-wearing cousin that Rachel had told her about, so apparently, couture-wearing goddesses were just casualties in Nick's family. 

"I am a fashion blogger—would you mind if I took a picture of you?" she asked.

"Colette's being modest. She is THE most popular fashion blogger in China," Nick bragged.

"Um, of course," Astrid replied in surprise.

"Roxanne!" Colette yelled. Her trusty assistant came running over and snapped a few pictures of Colette and Astrid posing together. Then Roxanne began to take notes as Colette quizzed Astrid on everything she was wearing.

"Now, I just need some caption info. I recognize your shoes and your handbag, of course, and the bracelets are Lalaounis—"

"Actually, they're not," Astrid interrupted.

"Oh. Who did them?"

"They're Etruscan."

"I know, but who designed them?"

"I have no idea. They were made in 650 BC."

Colette stared in wonder at the museum artifacts dangling so casually on Astrid's wrists. Now she wanted some herself. "Okay then, most important, tell me which genius designed your fabulous dress. It's Josep Font, isn't it?"

"Oh, this? I bought it today at Zara."

For the rest of her life, Ramona would never forget the look on Colette's face.

A few hours later, Ramona and Teddy found themselves having a late supper with Rachel, Nick, Astrid, and Mehmet at Monsieur Bleu, the brasserie tucked away at the back of the Palais de Tokyo.

As Ramona took the first bite of her sole meunière, she looked around the room, taking in the intriguing light fixtures, the marble-backed banquettes, and the shimmering bronze bas-reliefs. "Astrid, we've been eating at super-fancy places all week, but this is by far my favorite meal. Thanks for bringing us here." Rachel said, speaking her mind quite perfectly