𝟬𝟬𝟴.

CARLTON AND THEODORE'S car pulled up to the front entrance of the house, and two attendants in matching James Perse black T-shirts and trousers appeared from out of nowhere. One of them helped Ramona out of the car, while the other informed Theodore, "Sorry, you can't leave your car here like you. We are expecting Mr. Bing's arrival. You can either move it around into the car porch, or I can park it for you."

"I'll move it—thanks," Theodore replied. He zoomed off and returned shortly to join Rachel, Nick, Ramona, and Carlton at the entrance.

The imposing oxidized maple-wood doors opened, and they found themselves in a serene inner courtyard almost entirely composed of a dark, shallow reflecting pool.

A travertine walkway ran down the middle of the pool toward tall lacquered doors the color of espresso, and bamboo block plantings ran along the walls of the courtyard. The lacquered doors parted silently as the three of them approached, revealing the inner sanctum.

Before they were an immense, eighty-foot-long living room decorated entirely in tones of black and white. Maids in long, black silk qipaos stood in a silent line by gray shikumen brick pillars hung with black-ink calligraphy scrolls, while polished black-tile floors and low-slung white sofas suffused the space with a tranquil, seductive vibe.

The glass wall at the end of the room revealed an outdoor lounge filled with sleek sofas and dark-wood coffee tables, beyond which one could see more reflecting pools and pavilions.

Even Nick, who had grown up among the splendors of Tyersall Park, was momentarily taken aback. "Wow—is this a house or a Four Seasons resort?"

Carlton laughed. "Actually, Colette fell in love with the Puli Hotel in Shanghai and tried to get her father to buy it. When they found it wasn't for sale no matter the price, he commissioned his architect to build her this place. This grand salon is inspired by the Puli's lobby."

Ramona nodded politely, she had a few properties like those in Vietnam, Australia, Greece, and other countries that felt like a jungle oasis. But one of the many things her Ah Ma taught her was never to talk about yourself unless asked to. 

An Englishman in a dapper black suit approached them. "Good afternoon, I'm Wolseley, the butler. May I offer you something to drink?"

Before anyone could respond, Colette made her entrance through another door in an oleander pink tea-length dress. 

"Ramona, Theo, Rachel, Nick, so glad you could make it!" With her hair swept up into a high bun and her ruffled gazar skirt billowing about her as she walked into the room, Colette looked like she had just stepped off the cover of a 1960s issue of Vogue.

Rachel greeted her with a hug. "Colette, you look like you should be having breakfast at Tiffany's or something! And my God, your house is just incredible!"

Colette gave a modest giggle. "Here, let me give you a proper tour. But first, drinks! What libation can we tempt you with? I'm sure Carlton will have his usual tumbler of vodka, and I think I'll have a Campari and soda to match my dress. Rachel, do you feel like a Bellini?"

"Um, sure, only if it's not too much trouble," Rachel said.

"Not at all! We always have fresh white peaches for our Bellinis, don't we, Wolseley? Ramona? Your order?"

"I'll take a cosmopolitan if that's alright,"

"Good choice. Nick, Theo, what will it be?"

"I'll have a gin and tonic."

"Same,"

"Ugh, the boys are so boring." Colette rolled her eyes at Wolseley. "Come, follow me. Did Carlton explain to you my whole concept for this house?"

"We heard that you liked some hotel in Shanghai—" Rachel began.

"Yes, the Puli—but I've made this house even more luxurious. We used precious materials that you just wouldn't want to use in a public space like a hotel. I know many people have this impression that everyone in China lives in tacky Louis XIV mansions where everything is dipped in gold and it looks like a tassel factory exploded, so I wanted this house to be a showplace for the best of contemporary China. Every piece of furniture you see in this grand salon was custom-designed and handcrafted here by our finest designers, in the rarest materials. And of course, all the antiques are museum-quality. The scrolls on the walls are by Wu Boli, from the fourteenth century, and that Ming dynasty wine cup over there? I bought it from a dealer in Xi'an two years ago for six hundred thousand—the curator from the St. Louis Museum just offered me fifteen million for it. As if I would ever sell!" Ramona nodded politely as she looked at the wine cup.

The group stepped out into the back courtyard, which was dominated by another vast reflecting pool. Colette led them along a covered walkway as a haunting New Agey song played softly on hidden outdoor speakers.