Maddy turned over onto her stomach, put her face into the pillow and raised her hair up off her neck. "See the scar here?" Her voice was muffled by the pillow. She pointed to the left side of her head. Jungkook could see a half centimeter wide white line without hair that extended from her hairline on her neck up about five or so inches straight up the back of her head.

He leaned over her and brushed her hair out of the way to see it better. His heart ached for little nine year old Maddy going into surgery. He ran his fingers lightly over the scar. "Maddy," his whisper came out slightly anguished. He followed his impulse and dropped a kiss onto the scar near her neck. Jungkook felt her stiffen at his kiss. He leaned back not wanting to make her uncomfortable. "Go ahead, you can tell me the rest."

Her voice came out a little breathy against the pillow, "Oh, are you sure the kissing part is over? My scar might need one more kiss, don't you think?" 

Jungkook chuckled at her trying to get more of his kisses. "Maybe just one more." He whispered then he lowered his lips to the beginning of the scar right on her neck and let his kiss remain there for a few seconds before pulling away. He could have kissed on her neck for the rest of the night but he knew right where that would lead and he was determined to keep her as a friend.

He heard Maddy sigh. He said, "Okay, enough kisses, let me hear the rest of it."

Maddy tried to collect her thoughts. Between yesterday's finger nibbles and today's neck kisses she realized Jungkook had the power to make her feel something she had never felt before. The feelings were unsettling and overwhelming, but she really wanted more. Maddy tried to calm her heart down by taking a few deep breaths. She let her hair back down and turned onto her side. She held up her head with her hand, propped up on one elbow. "No one thought I would live through the surgery, because I was so weak. My parents said goodbye to me before I went in. Amazingly, the surgery was successful. I started to recover. I had to do some physical therapy after, but the cancer has never come back. And you know the rest. I have difficulty with math. I have nervous energy. And like you said at the cafe, I can go from being happy to being bossy, fairly quickly if something makes me mad."

Jungkook's words from the cafe came back to him then. He was horrified with himself, "Oh no! I asked if you were brain damaged. Oh, Maddy, I'm so sorry!" His hand reached up and squeezed her shoulder. He frowned with the thought that he had hurt her.

Maddy saw the pain in his eyes and wanted to make it go away. She hugged him then, as best she could with them both laying on her bed. "Please don't feel bad. I was being difficult at the time. It is okay. I haven't thought about that comment since then." To Maddy's delight, Jungkook wrapped his arms around her to reciprocate the hug. It felt so nice hugging Jungkook, that Maddy just decided to stay there resting against his chest. He smelled so nice, she could smell Sandalwood and a hint of vanilla. She was tempted to bury her face in his neck to get a good whiff of it, but she held herself back.

Jungkook sighed. She was in his arms now, it felt so right. He felt like she should stay there forever. "Is that why your parents are so supportive? You said you didn't think your mom would be very mad if she found me hiding in your shower."

"Yeah. They were devastated that their only daughter was going to die. I found out years later that they had my funeral all planned. And they bought a plot for me to be buried at. So now they are just enjoying that I'm here, alive and well. And I pretty much get away with whatever I want. I try not to take advantage of it too much, though. But if they are frustrated with me, I just remind them that this is what having a teenager is like. It is my way of reminding them that they almost didn't get to see me as a teenager. So they are pretty forgiving."

"And that is why you have a bucket list? I've never heard of someone our age having a bucket list." Jungkook felt like lots of pieces of the puzzle were falling into place.

"Yep. I sometimes feel like I'm living on borrowed time. I can't live each day like it's my last, but I can try to get the most out of life. Having a bucket list makes sure I'm thinking about all the things I want to do and looking for opportunities to do them. I'm just trying to live life to it's fullest."

"I'm glad you told me all this. I've been trying to figure you out since we met. Understanding you is like putting together a puzzle. And I got a few more of the pieces tonight." Jungkook was rubbing up and down on her back.

Maddy lifted her head to smile up at Jungkook then, "I'm not nearly complex enough to be called a puzzle."

 Jungkook laughed at the ridiculousness of her statement. "You most certainly are. You're one of those really complex puzzles with a million pieces, that gives you a headache when you think about having to assemble it." Maddy narrowed her eyes at him not sure how to take his teasing comment. He sighed then. "It make me sad that you had to go through all of that though." 

Maddy's look softened. "I know that your family has had it rough too Jungkook. Jimin told me a little of your story and my heart broke for you and your family."

Jungkook looked down into her sweet eyes, "I'm okay now." He meant it in the most present tense possible. He was okay laying here with her in his arms. He was the most okay he'd been in years, at this very moment.

Maddy gave him a smile, "Can you stay for a bit or do you have to go?" 

Maddy's word delighted Jungkook to his core, he really didn't want to leave yet. "I can stay."

Maddy quietly got up and turned off the lights and the music in her room. She left the bedroom door closed and locked.

Jungkook grabbed the blanket at the bottom of her bed and pulled it up over him. He frowned as he did it. "Oof! I thought this was a blanket, but now I think it might be some sort of medieval torture device."

Maddy giggled and climbed back onto the bed next to him. She was cuddling him before she got up but she didn't want to be presumptuous, so she just laid next to him. "It's a weighted blanket. I sometimes use it to get rid of my nervous energy. It is filled with little glass beads. Do you want me to get a different one?"

"No, I'll try it. It feels like having five blankets over me instead of one. What are you doing way over there? Come over here." He reached over and pulled Maddy into his chest. He needed to feel her next to him. He wrapped his arms around her and intertwined his fingers with hers. "Night Sweet Maddy"

"Night Kookie." They both quickly and comfortably drifted off to sleep.

---

Jungkook woke with a feeling of calm and contentment and he knew why. He looked down at Maddy with her cheek sweetly resting on his shirt. He couldn't remember the last time he woke with such a wonderful feeling. He loved the feel of his arms around her. He glanced at the time on his phone. It was very early. He didn't want to get caught climbing out of her window though, so he knew it was time to go.

He tried to gently maneuver out from under her but when Maddy felt the loss of his warmth she whimpered a bit. Her voice was husky from sleep, "Don't go."

He chucked and pressed a kiss to her forehead and pulled the blanket up to her neck. "I need to go, Sweetness. We will play soccer later today. Go back to sleep."

Jungkook put on his shoes and coat and slipped silently out the window. Maddy felt a brief rush of cold air as he left. How is it possible for her to miss him already? She scooted over to his warm spot on the bed, breathed in the scent of him, and went back to sleep.