Chapter 16

What the hell did Hollings just say? What the hell does Dylan have to do with Neverwere? Ambers glowered at Dylan with a dumbfounded gaze that he knew must look pretty stupid and funny. But Dylan didn’t look at him, he just looked at Betsy.

            “All right, I’ll tell him, but it has to be tomorrow after I get home.” Dylan didn’t sound really happy. He sounded pissed. Yet, his face never showed it; his voice hinted at those feelings.

            What are with these adults and not showing any emotions? Ambers wondered.

            “What do you mean?” Ambers muttered “What is Hollings saying? You’re part of the supernatural community? How? You’re human.” He really didn’t want to wait; he wanted to know now.

            Betsy looked at him calmly as she usually does. “We’ll tell you tomorrow, all right. Don’t ask questions today. Just go on to bed.”

            Ambers nodded, knowing that Betsy was the calm one of the family and could handle any problem with ease. Closing the door behind him, he stood there for a couple of seconds in the dark, letting all the questions that were in his mind settle down. He rummaged around his draws for pajamas. He got them on and looked at his bed. It was littered with his school books and homework that he never finished. Sighing, he removed all of it and placed it down on the floor.

            Looking at his bed, he lay down on top of it and finally noticed how tired he was. Once his head hit the pillow, he was out cold.

Jessamine strolled down the halls of Whiting High School alone and with no one besides her, holding her hand. She felt weird without Zack next to her, clutching her hand. She felt open and defenseless. Shaking her head, hoping to get rid of the feelings, she moved towards the cafeteria.

            She felt everyone’s glares on her. All the girls gave a disrespectful glare full of hate and glee since she had broken up with Zack. She didn’t understand why people would look at her like that.

            Whatever.

            Scanning the cafeteria, she saw her friends, talking to Ambers, asking him a lot of questions. She saw Tate, Alyss, and Bree next to him. He looked kind of awkward to be around so many girls at once, but she knew that he liked it. What kind of teenage boy doesn’t want girls ogling him?

            Heading into the line, she grabbed her lunch and headed for the table by Ambers and her friends.  But when she started walking that way, she almost ran into Zack. His hair was frayed and sticking up. His eyes looked swollen as if he had been crying.

            Had I done this? Had I actually broken his heart? she thought.

            “Jessamine,” Zack whispered. He looked desperate and horrible. She couldn’t stand looking at him because she knew that she caused this. “Jessamine, can I talk to you after school today?”

            She didn’t know what to say. She really didn’t know what to say to about anything anymore. She nodded and pushed past him towards the table. Feeling his gaze upon her back, she squirmed a little, but sat down next to Bree.

            “So what was all that about?” Bree purred.

            “Nothing,” Jessamine answered. “So what have you guys been talking about?”

            “Asking Ambers about his night,” Tate said. “He said that he had an enjoyable night, but won’t tell us why.” Her gaze landed on Jessamine. “Do you know why?” Tate’s eyebrows lifted up in a suggestion.