Chapter 53: Christmas

"I don't understand

"I don't understand." Leo snorted. "We shouldn't be here. We have to plan our next steps to get your father. This is a waste of time." He complained.

"You don't get it, do you?" I peeked out from behind the hangers. "It's Christmas in a few days. And since your doctors are taking time with the results, we have to have some other fun." I walked over to him and threw a T-shirt at him. "Lydia will like this."

"I understand you want to have fun, but shopping for presents. Isn't that unnecessary for us?" He frowned.

"What do you mean?"

"Your presence is a gift for all of us, we don't need any more useless things to the house."

"More useless things? Unbelievable." I shook my head. "Christmas is important. We've always celebrated it with the team, no matter what was happening. It was a pleasant distraction. And since you have a daughter, Christmas won't be missed. That reminds me, we're going to have to go to the toy store."

"That's nice of you, I'm not saying that, but why buy something for us? I don't need anything, and Lydia has me, that must be enough for her."

"Sure." I laughed. "Don't think so much about yourself." I walked past him to the cash register.

"What was that supposed to mean?" I heard him follow me. He put all the things he had in hand at the cash register.

"Nothing, nothing." I smiled and handed the saleswoman a credit card. "Now toy store." I threw a bag at him, into which the saleswoman gave us things and walked past him to the exit.

"And what are we supposed to buy for Cass? And Francesco? I've always hated this drama." He showed up next to me and we started walking towards the toy store.

"Cassian only needs a ball."

"Like dogs have?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Exactly." I smiled. "And maybe some clothing for Francesco."

"So, in other words, uselessness."

"Can you stop being so annoying? Are you playing on Grinch this year or what? We should enjoy our time together. We've missed a lot of Christmases. And also, dinner with the family will be a pleasant evening."

My Christmas used to be mostly alone with pizza in living room and Netflix. Lily and Julia called me often, but I always told them I already had plans. But I also often worked so that others could be with their families.

"Ah yes, I can imagine the Christmas dinner." He stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and I with him. "Cass and you will argue while Em is throwing food everywhere and Francesco and Lydia will be under fire from their parents."

"First of all, Em is a decent young girl and she will behave like that. Secondly, I won't argue with Cassian because he won't go there. And thirdly, why didn't anyone tell me that Alessia and Piero would come? I have to buy even more presents."