Chapter 40: A date 🔥

August 19, 1813

It has been a month since we left our homeland. It's been a very charming month. The family we stay with also has a son. He is due to return from his travels in Italy in a few days. Elizabeth is looking forward to finally introducing him to me. I don't, on the other hand. The man who is a role model for her has a bad reputation. People are talking. But not always the wonderful things we want. I don't know what to expect. I should be grateful to him for the roof over my head. The main thing, of course, is that Vern is safe. He changed. He has been spending more time with the hosts than with me. But that's good for him. He must feel at home here when I'm gone. I'm old enough for marriage. I know there have been a few men here, applying for my hand. They try to hide it from me, but I can't stay like this forever. I have my responsibilities as a woman, even if I don't like them and it seems wrong to me. I'm not sure how long I'll stay here, but the only thing I'm sure of is what happens will happen. I will not avoid fate, but that will not stop me from resisting it for a while.

 I will not avoid fate, but that will not stop me from resisting it for a while

"Adam, I swear if this is one of your jokes...."

"Just wait here." He interrupted me and put his hands down from my eyes. "Don't open them."

"Fine." I folded my arms across my chest and waited for what would happen. He pulled me out of bed late at night and said he had a surprise for me. He knows I don't like surprises. "Adam?" I said after a moment of silence. Did he just leave me here? "If you left...." I said frustratedly.

I felt a pair of hands on my eyes, which made me jump slightly. "It's just me," Francesco said with a laugh. I grabbed his hands on my face and folded them.

"You have no right to touch me." I snorted and turned to him. I opened my eyes, but I didn't care where I was. What had my attention was only Francesco. "You left." I folded my arms across my chest. "Again. No explanation. Again."

"Only for two days." He laughed. Does this situation seem funny to him?

"Yes, you're right, that's nothing." I snorted. "Can you even be a bigger idiot?"

"It's not the hello I was expecting."

"Are you drunk? Or are you just rude? Samuel told me you went to meet someone. For information. You can't even imagine how I felt when you didn't come back. You could have been dead somewhere and no one would know." I frowned.

"Amira ..."

"No." I stopped him. "Don't 'Amira' me." I imitated him. "You screwed up." I stabbed my finger in his chest. "And if you think I'll be waiting for you here after you disappear and open your arms or legs, you're very wrong."

"Can you let me explain?" He laughed.

"If you find it funny, I don't think there's anything you need to explain." I lowered my hands next to my body and slipped around him.

"It was Dominic." I stopped. "He got into some trouble. Because of me. I couldn't leave him in it. I went to help him, but it got tangled up. I lost my cell phone so I couldn't call and let you know. I'm sorry."