VI

C h a p t e r S i x
of "The Heart of Fear":

"What do you want, Adam?" I asked, irritation clear in my voice. Adam quickly looked around before he shook his head.

"Not here." I looked at him skeptically, and he sighed.

"Just follow me." I did not want to follow him. I was angry at him for ignoring me. It has hurt me, even though we weren't friends, I had trusted him. If he had told me something, given me a clue, then maybe I would have understood.

But I didn't.

Adam walked out of the library and headed towards the road leading away from the school. He's lucky it's timefor lunch now, I thought.

Adam didn't stop until we came to a small park. There was a couple of swings, a sandbox and a few benches and trees. Adam took my hand and dragged me towards one of the benches in the centre of the park.

Adam let go of my hand aa we reached the bench, and when I sat down, he turned his head towards the empty playground. It was completely silent.

"Adam, why did you bring me here?" I asked.

"It's something I have to apologise for." I shook my head.

"I do not need any apologies."

"You're wrong, Lexie. You deserve a real apology, it's the least I can give you." Adam interrupted me before I could say anything.

"Just listen to me, okay? I apologise for how I acted at lunch two weeks ago. I should have said something, defended you, because the things they said weren't true - I know that now. But I thought that maybe they were right, that you didn't have time for me." Adam smiled half-heartedly.

"Someone like you shouldn't have time for someone like me. You're always working hard, I barely do anything at all, and I know how much you want to suceed with school - and for that, you need time to study.

"But I have missed you. For two weeks I have done nothing but missed you." I shook my head slowly, it was a lot to take on at once, and I was feeling fairly confused.

"Please, can you forgive me? I do not beg for your friendship, that is nothing I am interested in at all, I like you more than I friend should. Much more. All I want is a chance. A chance to make up for my mistakes, and maybe get you to like me, too." His golden brown eyes was filled with regret, and his words were spoken with sincerity. I could not do anything else than smile sightly, I didn't want to be away from him anymore. I couldn't resist having him close to me again.

"I have all the time in the world for you, Adam. I will make sure of that." Adam's smile mirrored the happiness shining in his gorgeous eyes, and I saw how the sun made his hair shimmer like gold. Oh God, he was beautiful.

The rest of the school week passed like the wind in the mountains, and I spent every possible second in the company of Adam.

He had made it his task to make up for his mistakes in as many ways as possible, and balloons, flowers and sweets were only a few of the gifts he had given me. I always told him that his gifts were unnecessary, but he refused to listen.

There was one gift, though, that I didn't want him to take back. It was a handwritten letter, in which he had written how much he adored me, quotes from movies and books being the only words used.

He had always written down his favourite memories of me, of us. It was probably the most beautiful gift I had ever been given. It was wonderful.

It was now Friday afternoon, and I was standing by my locker. I held my homework in my left hand, and my backpack in my right. I tried to put as many books as possible in my bag, not wanting to carry them in my arms.

When I finally had put my books away, I heard how someone knocked on one of the lockers next to mine. I turned my head, and I saw how Adam was leaning to close to me with his right elbow against a locker. His backpack was slung over his shoulder, a smile gracing his beautiful lips. He sent me a small wink as I closed my locker, waiting for me to give him all of my attention before he spoke.

"Come." Was all he said, and I followed him, my smile as true as the gold in his eyes.