I

C h a p t e r O n e
of "The Heart of Fear":

I hesitated, what if they did not like me? What if I would embarass myself? Or what if they just end up laughing at me? I was incredibly nervous, and I could feel my palms sweating and my heart beating fast against my ribcage because of it.

It's okay, it's okay. No one will laugh at you, I promise. I heard my mother's voice inside my head. It was probably the longest sentence that I heard her say this past half-year, if you don't count the time where she told me that we were moving because she'd finally found a full-time job, but then again, she was fairly short-sentenced about that, too. It's now or never.

I released the breath I didn't know I was holding, maybe it was for the best to get it over with.

"Can't everybody just shut up!" It was one of the guys at the front of the Biology-class who shouted. I immediately looked up after the sound left his lips, afraid of what might be coming.

The guy who shouted jumped of his chair, grabbed his belongings and ran out of the room. At the same time, I heard how one of the guys at the back of the classroom muttered how it was all just an innocent joke. Joking about deadly illnesses is not funny, I thought bitterly before I grabbed my things and walked towards the door.

I saw how the biology-teacher looked at me strangely and I stopped by her desk for a few seconds.

"Somebody should make sure that he's alright, yes?" She nodded, and I turned my head down as I scurried out of the classroom.

"Are you okay?" I asked. The boy was sitting with his back against the brickwall of the school, his face turned against the school-yard. I slowly sank down to his level, pressing my back against the wall as well.

"I'm fine, it's just a sensitive subject, that's all." I nodded.

"I am Adam, by the way." The guy turned his head towards me and smiled. His eyes shone bright in the light of the sun, his golden locks falling over his forehead, his pink lips parted, revealing pearly white teeth. He was beautiful.

"Alexandra." I introduced myself as I smiled faintly. Adam's smile grew.

"A beautiful name for a beautiful girl." He winked with his left eye and I blushed. His lips formed a small smirk at the sight of my red cheeks. I turned my head away, my blush growing more intense.

"You don't seem to enjoy talking, Lexie." I turned my head towards him again.

"Lexie?" I wondered.

"Yes - Lexie. It's a nickname for Alexandra." Adam answered, his head now facing the school-yard yet again, but I could still see how he glanced at me through his lashes.

" No one has ever called me Lexie before..." I mumbled. Adam weren't supposed to hear my whisper, but as soon as he turned his head towards me - a real smirk gracing his lips - I knew that he had heard every word.

"I suspected it, but I am not going to say that I am disappointed to be the only one to call you that." I blushed once again, and turned my head away to shield myself from his burning gace.

"You are new here, right?" I sighed, relieved that the teasing was over.

"Yes, I moved here... I think it was last Friday. " I bit my lip slightly, thinking back. Yes, it was last Friday where our car pulled up on the driveway to my new home.

"Great, it's not that many people who moves here, to this side of town... at least not in our grade." I nodded, this area were more reserved than the areas within the centre of the city.

"Well, it's time to go. It was nice meeting you, Lexie." Adam brushed the dirt of his trousers as he stood up, and I thew a quick glance at the watch on my wrist. Time for some History.

I stood up myself as I picked up the few books I had. Adam bent down to my level and I felt his lips gracing my cheek as he whispered:

"And thank you for following me."