Chapter Nine

"Did you check out the links I sent you?" Kai asked as the two walked in through the school door.

"Yeah." Roan answered.

"And?" Kai grinned, "Did you like any?"

"They're all.. small." Roan said.

"Sweetie it's New York, not some town in Texas where we can get a mansion in our budget," Kai shrugged, "A one bedroom with a bathroom and kitchen is the best we can do."

"I guess if I need to have a roommate then there's no one better but you." Roan said as he opened his locker to take out his calculus book.

"Awesome," Kai grinned, "Check out the one with the baby blue walls. It even has a bathtub! Show it to the mamas too. They've been asking me about our plans because someone keeps putting it off."

"We still have a few months." Roan rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, but I'm excited!" Kai's smile was unparalleled, "Can you imagine? Us going to college in New York and living together? It's going to be epic."

"Bet." Roan hummed.

Kai ruffled Roan's hair playfully, making the blonde glare at him to which Kai replied with a huge smile. Roan sighed, not saying anything as he shut his locker.

Kai looked around the hallways to see people sneaking in glances at his best friend. It was a usual sight considering Roan was one of the, if not the hottest guy in school. Funny how a few years ago he was a tiny kid with braces and acne. Puberty did him real good.

"Y'know, if our life was a movie then you'd be the lead and I'd be the comic relief best friend." Kai said.

"You have to be funny to be the comic relief." Roan muttered, making Kai narrow his eyes at him.

"I'm hilarious." Kai grumbled.

"Plus, you'd be the love interest." Roan said.

"Why is that?" Kai asked.

"Because in movies the main character's crush always likes them back."

"When's your date with Jace?" Kai ignored Roan's comment.

"Tonight."

"I stalked him." Kai admitted.

"And?" Roan sighed.

"Nothing," Kai shrugged, "His Instagram was private and his profile picture was of a cat."

"What kind?" Roan asked.

"Huh?" Kai looked at him as they walked to their first class.

"Cat. What kind of cat?" Roan asked again.

"Oh," Kai nodded, "Orange."

"Oh," Roan hummed, "Cool."

"Uh," Kai lifted a brow, "No? Not cool. What kind of a lunatic has a cat profile picture?"

"Kai."

"Yeah?"

"Check my Instagram." Roan said.

"Why?" Kai asked.

"Just check it." Roan repeated. Kai sighed but obeyed as he slid his phone out of his pocket and opened the app. He searched for Roan's profile, and his cheeks turned bright red when he saw his profile picture.

"Frisbee looks cute. You got her good angle."

~~~

Roan looked over at the menu that he almost had memorized by heart. Both he and Kai had spent the last three summers working at the diner that he was currently in. Due to Kai's constant pestering about the dangers of a blind date, Roan compromised and said that he'd be having dinner with Jace at Dina's Diner, a safe place for the two boys.