Chapter 40

Meredith's POV:

I'm not sure how long I've been asleep for but I know it's been long enough. I need to wake up and see Derek and the girls I want everything to go back to the way it was before all the attacks happened, I was happy, Derek and I's relationship was blooming but that all took a pause when everything happened. I just want everything to go back to the way it was before.

Derek-"Hey Mer, it's me, Derek I've brought the girls again with me today, they miss you heaps, I miss you too. Everyone misses you just wake up when you're ready just don't leave us okay? I love you."

"I love you too."

Oh my god did I just say that out loud? I thought I said that in my head. I'm awake and Derek's here with Eliza and Amelia, everyone is here.

Derek- "Oh god, Meredith you're awake. I've missed you so so so much, how are you feeling any pain? Do you want me to page Bailey or.. or Dr.Wyatt?"

I am in pain but I don't want anyone to interrupt this moment with Derek and the girls.

"Not yet, can you pass me, Amelia? I need some cuddles, and I guess you could lie in my bed with Eliza too?"

"You want me to lie with you? Are you sure? If you feel a panic attack coming telling me and I'll move." 

"Derek just get your arse up here."

Bailey's POV:

It's time for morning rounds and I thought we could start with Meredith's room, I'm hoping we see some change, any change that shows she is awake or is close to waking up. Her surgery was yesterday afternoon, she needs to wake up so we don't declare her.

I turn into sight of her room and I'm surprised, there she is asleep with her daughter Amelia I presume asleep with Derek asleep next to her with Eliza. They would only be lying like that if Meredith woke up, did she wake up and no one-paged me?

"Nurse Olivia, did Meredith Grey wake up from her surgery?"

"uh yes, I believe she did around 2 hours ago."

"And nobody paged me?"

"Dr.Shepherd was in there, he asked not to page you yet, and they've been like that for at least an hour. Isn't it cute?"

"Yes very cute, I would appreciate being paged next time."

"Yes, Dr. Bailey."

//

Meredith's  POV:

I felt calm, calmer than I have felt for weeks maybe even weeks since everything happened I know I have a long road ahead of me with therapy and recovering from my injuries. But at this moment in Derek's arms, I feel safe. 

Derek is still asleep and I can't help but imagine our future together, growing old together with many kids much to Derek's delight both becoming amazing surgeons well Derek already is one but you get what I mean we would be the perfect couple, I can't wait to one day call him my husband.

I feel safe in Derek's arms but when he isn't there all I picture is Taylor's face and if Derek isn't in the room to reassure me I end up thinking everyone is Taylor, I just need Derek to stay with me.

Derek-"You're awake and before me, what happened to not being a morning person?"

"This bed is uncomfortable with casts on, I can't move around freely I am stuck and I can't sleep without you, or else I see Taylor, but you have to work but I don't want you to leave but you have to."

"Mer, would you like me to come by every few hours? And would you like me to leave the girls here for a little bit so you can cuddle with them some more?"

"Yes, but stay a little longer please."

"Okay, I love you, Meredith."

"I love you too Derek, I'm just scared."

"I know, I know."

....

*Some time passes by*

Derek's POV:

Meredith soon fell asleep again with Eliza in her arms it didn't take long for her snores to fill the room and I couldn't help but chuckle to myself that she is still in denial about her snoring. But now I have to go back to work to talk to my patient before their surgery.

"Mer?"

She starts to stir in herself but she stays asleep so I try again.

"Meredith, I have to go do surgery now, I am going to take the girls to daycare. I'll be back soon love."

I kiss her forehead and write a note where we went to so she doesn't worry and I tucked her into her blankets more so she stays warm and I head to my surgery.

//

Izzie's POV:

"All I'm saying is Meredith has been through a lot recently we should do something to cheer her up."

Cristina-"Barbie as much as that is a good idea I don't think anything would cheer her up until that bastard in behind bars."

Alex-"Hate to admit I agree with Yang, I mean us guys can't go into her room with Derek being there reassuring her it isn't Taylor."

All I want is to do something for Meredith, I've been trying to get the others to agree with me on it for weeks and they aren't budging saying she isn't stable enough or it should wait but Meredith needs us to be there for her especially now.

"I just think she needs us more than ever and they when she gets discharged or now even we should do something for her, take her to the cafeteria or just sit with her she needs people to talk to."

George-"And we agree with you on that Iz, maybe sitting with her is the best thing we can do at the time being just don't go full Izzie and plan something big she isn't mentally ready for it."

Finally, they have agreed to something it only took weeks to even get them to consider planning something, did I mean planning? I meant cheering her up.'

"What are we waiting for let's go."

....

Meredith's POV:

I was lying up in my bed reading my book waiting for Derek to come back from his surgery and everything was so quiet and I hate it. I want to go back go to the loud noises of doctors and nurses frantically searching for things in the E.R, I want to go back home to where the girls scream at the top of their lungs, I want to go back to work to see my friends and eat lunch with them.

The group have hardly visited me since I got admitted and it makes me feel a bit down not even my friend want to spend time with me, I guess it's nothing new my father didn't, my mother used not want to but then again I haven't seen her either. I've only seen Derek's mother and well Derek if you're not counting the doctors on my case.

*knock knock*

"Derek you don't have to knock I know it's you."

George-"Mer, it's me, George we are here with Izzie, Cristina and Alex can we come in?"

They came to visit me? But why now? why not sooner?

"Yea I guess."

Hi everyone I feel as if this was a filler and I might do some time jumps after the next chapter to when Mer is discharged just so I can focus on other aspects of the story I hope that's alright.

I hope you all had a lovely new year's eve or day depending on where you are :)

If you have ideas for the story let me know also please if you want to check out my new story "The truth always comes out eventually"

Vote and comment :)

Have a great day <3