Black phoenix

Jace PoV

With a quick nod of acknowledgment to Blake l, I turned and jogged up to the main gate of the pack.

I had no idea what I expected as I made the short run to the gates, but I was on full alert, my senses scanned the area as far as I could go and my guard was correct.

Fuck. There were werewolves placed at strategic points around the borders of my territory but they didn't give off a threatening vibe, that confused me more than I wanted to admit. There was nothing that frustrated me more than being unable to figure out my enemies' gameplay.

There was no way I would let our visitors know that they had me unable to gauge their behaviour so I put on a blank yet firm alpha expression on my face and stormed up the last few metres until I was able to see fit myself what the fuckwas going on. My temper simmered as I cast my eyes across the sight on the opposite side of the tall , thick barbed wire topped gate. There were 4 people, werewolves, all gathered outside the gate with two wolves at the front. The alpha and beta if I wasn't mistaken, the other two that flanked them were undoubtedly two top warriors that acted as protection for the top ranked werewolves. There were more hidden in the depths of the forest but I paid them no attention and narrowed my eyes on the alpha. He looked vaguely familiar but that didn't mean fuck all if he had come here to attack us. Or if it he was the sick fuck that hung Sawyer from the tree outside the packhouse purely to add further torment to my grieving mate.

My eyes darted between the alpha and beta. The more closely I studied them the more certain I was that we had met on several occasions.

There was no way I would talk first. They'd insisted on having a conversation with me specifically therefore it was on them to initiate it.

"Alpha Jace, I appreciate your swift response to my request , it's good to see you" the biggest guy, the alpha said in a genuine enough manner. However I immediately sensed something in his blue eyes that didn't match his soft spoken words.

He was in his mid 20's, well built with blonde hair that was cropped at the sides and back but longer on top, the strong winds repeatedly whipped it over his eyes but he didn't seem at all bothered by it.

He must have seen the look on my face because he quickly added " although I'm so sorry that such a sad occasion that has made my visit happen so soon " the sadness etched across his face perplexed me.

Did he know about Sawyer being dead? If he did know, It was like it had impacted him even though he didn't know him.

Because there was no way he would know him right?

Sawyer was a rogue alpha, he didn't attend official council meetings or the alliance meetings that were held across the territories. Rogue packs tended to keep to themselves, they weren't sociable creatures.

'So soon' his last words echoed in my head. He hadn't planned on visiting us SO SOON?? 

What the hell was going on?
Who the hell was this guy?

"Who the fuck are you?" A low but menacing growl escaped my lips as I got right up to the gate, smashing my fists against them as adrenaline coursed through me.

" Watch your tone man" the beta sneered back at me in defence of his alpha.

"WHO.ARE.YOU?" I gritted my teeth, barked out each word with as much power as I could muster, but the alpha in front of me wasn't remotely fazed by it.

"I understand your confusion but truth be told I wasn't sure your Luna would allow me to enter if she knew I was here" the alpha sighed running his hand through his hair in a weary action. "I'm sorry but I need to see her urgently, this can't wait!" he added with alot of persistence in his tone.