Thats dark

Eden PoV

Time was passing by far too slowly for my liking. Every tick of every damn clock in the packhouse served as a cruel reminder of how much time we'd lost and how much time I still had to wait.

Over the past few days I'd learnt I could do a hell of a lot of things however, changing time just wasn't one of them. It was an understatement to say it so simply but I had come so far as a person in that small amount of time, so much had changed. But right now I just felt like that same naive, petrified 18 year old girl I was when I first met Blake and Jace.

The tough exterior I was attempting to portray was just a smokescreen for a tangled, tightly weaved ball of anxiety, fear and pain.

I paced the porch back and forth as I chewed my nails and frowned out into the distance scanning the area for any sign of life.

I was completely lost in my own anxiety that I hadn't heard anyone join me, so when a hand lightly tapped my shoulder I spun around to face them ready to attack.

"Holy shit calm down Eden it's just me!" Caleb chuckled at my hostile reaction and raised his hands in mock defeat. "Someone's a little bit rattled today huh?!" He cocked an eyebrow at me questioningly.

"A Little bit rattled? I'm fast approaching full freak out!!" I exclaimed with a sigh slowing to a stop beside him.

"It's far too early for that degree of mental torment. Let's go grab some breakfast... and by that I mean a nice glass of the red stuff" he winked playfully as he wrapped one arm around my shoulders and guided me inside.

"You can talk to me, you know? You still aren't healing and on top of that... well Jace and my stupid brother aren't back yet. You don't have to pretend everything is okay when it's not" Caleb put his hand around my shoulders as we walked and I rested my head on his shoulder.

"I know I can. Thank you. But this is the only way I can survive right now. If I talk about it all I honestly think I'll break into a million pieces and I can't afford to do that when I have the boys to think about. They are my priority" I sighed and tried not to let my mind spiral into the mess my life was in at that point.

"That's fair enough. But if you do wanna talk. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere I promise!" Caleb was more than my brothers mate or Blake's brother.

He quickly became a best friend and brother to me.I know that I could talk to him about anything and he would never judge me or hate me. That was a huge comfort for me when things were bleak.

"Thank you for being so amazing" I placed a kiss on his temple and he smiled at me.

"I was born this way" he shrugged playfully and we continued on in a comfortable silence.

The packhouse was a bustling hive of activity and there were people going on with their usual day to day activities as if nothing had ever happened.

I couldn't help but smile as I saw Demi, the little girl who had been frightened of vampires until I'd spoken to her, whizzed towards us, being chased by several more of the pack youngsters who all had bright grins on their faces and giggles fell from their lips as they had fun. I spun around and chuckled as they all circled me before they ran off down the hallway. It was so good to see them so settled and happy again.

"Have fun guys" I called out to them

"Go find some mischief" Caleb encouraged them with a naught glint in his eye. At least until I glared at him in a silent scolding for telling the kids to be naughty.

"Be careful kiddies" Iris rolled her eyes at them but curled up the corners of her mouth as the chain of children narrowly avoided crashing into her as she left the kitchen.