Chapter 65 - Knocked Out

Start from the beginning

"End of the bargain?" Ariel repeated her words with a frown. "What do you mean?"

Hiroshi cleared his throat loudly to Hiromi.

"Oh, nothing. Just between me and my bro," Hiromi waved it off. "Can you believe it? I got a job at Dolce & Gabbana, my favourite fashion brand!" She clapped and jumped in excitement.

"Yes, you're very privileged," Ariel forced a smile, unimpressed at how children of the rich could get their foot in the door easily with their huge connections while she had to painfully work up the ladder.

"Ooh...nice necklace. Where did you get it from?" Hiromi went forward to touch the black opal pendant of Ariel's necklace between her fingers.

"Oh...this?" Ariel did not like that Hiromi was meddling with her gift without permission. "It's one of my birthday gifts."

"From who?" asked Hiroshi.

"From a friend."

"Well, that's a lovely black opal necklace. I can see this friend of yours has an expensive taste. Pairs really well with the Rolex watch I got you that you're now wearing. Looks great on you for your TV interview later," Hiroshi gave a thumbs up with a smile.

"Thank you." she smiled back.

"Whoa...the colours are so pretty," Hiromi was mesmerised by the shiny colours from the black opal. "I need to get a black opal for myself!"

———

"Saw your interview today. You look good with that black opal necklace. Very pretty," Leon complimented Ariel during a video chat.

"Thank you," Ariel blushed.

He was pleased when she called again but realised mainly because Andy wanted to talk to him.

"And that Rolex watch I saw you wore. You bought it?"

"It's a gift from Hiroshi. I won't even dare buy such an expensive gift for myself."

"Oh," Leon was not pleased. "So tell me, between the Rolex and the necklace, which is your favourite?"

"Please don't..." Ariel pleaded.

"Leon, is it true you're moving away?" Andy interrupted their conversation.

"Yup, I found a new place," Leon nodded his head.

"Does it have a nice sea view, like your old house?" Andy got curious.

"Definitely near the sea, but I won't be able to see much of it, unlike the penthouse."

"Will I get to see you and Sky again?"

"Of course! You're always welcome to visit me, Andy," said Leon. "I'd love to show you around after I move. Promise you'll come and see me?"

Andy nodded, "I promise. It's not fun anymore when you're far away."

"Same," Leon set his lips in a tight line.

After Leon shared his new address with them and bid farewell, their conversation ended. Andy looked depressed and water began to well in his eyes.

Ariel patted Andy's back.

"It's not fair! Why am I not allowed to see him lately even though he lives nearby? Why!" he cried.

"Not my orders. It's my boss's. I'm sure the reasons for that is temporary," she tried to cheer him up, even though she was unsure of what else to say.

———-

It was in the late afternoon.

Hiromi could not wait to start her first day at work tomorrow. She recently bought from Dolce & Gabbana, a pink Camelia floral-print silk wrap blouse, matching tight cream-coloured trousers, shiny black high heels and a leather pastel pink handbag. She laid them neatly on her pink single seater sofa next to her bed.

Excited, anxious and in need to cool off her nerves, Hiromi decided to go out for a short walk. She wore a white wool sweater with Dolce & Gabbana's logo and playful words all around in graffiti motifs with cropped rib-edges, tight blue jeans and a pair of white sneakers, with full make-up on and neatened hair. She put on a pair of wireless earbuds in her ears and started playing Japanese pop music from her mobile phone while she walked.

 She put on a pair of wireless earbuds in her ears and started playing Japanese pop music from her mobile phone while she walked

Hiromi's white cropped sweater

Once she reached a nearby park where there were not many people, she sat on a bench and enjoyed the cool breeze.

Hiromi took a few selfies with a V-sign to her cheeks, showing off her latest fake long nails in silver glitter and making sure her white sweater with the logo was in full view. Selecting the best picture and enhancing her final image with a filter, Hiromi posted the picture with the caption:

Guess where I'm starting my first day at work tmr? Now at the park calming my excited nerves! 🤭🤗

Within minutes, the comments came flooding in. She read through each and every comment, relishing in the attention of praise and envy from her fans, and compliments on her image. The familiar ice cream jingle could be heard. Hiromi lifted up her head and noticed Rossi's Happy Ice Cream truck from a nearby distance. Paolo was waiting by the window, looking out for new customers. Upon seeing her, he waved at her with a broad smile, but Hiromi did not wave back. She found it odd that he would try his luck to get new customers when the park was so quiet that she caught glimpse of only three passers-by.

Shrugging to herself, she turned her attention back to the phone and continued reading the comments. While doing so, Hiromi suddenly felt a strong hand pressing a cloth with a strong chemical smell over her mouth from behind. Shocked with widened her eyes, she dropped her phone and screamed as she struggled to break free.

However, her screams were muffled and the chemical knocked her out so fast that her body went limp.