Chapter 45 - Helping Leon

Fujita approved Ariel's recommendation on hiring Anna to help clean her house thrice a week, and Anna couldn't be more grateful. She was even more elated that the pay was higher than what Leon offered. However, Anna hoped to continue to work for Leon on the side as and when he needed since Leon was family to her.

Anna arrived at Ariel's house in the early morning and was greeted by Andy.

"Anna!" Andy was happy to see a familiar face. "Mum says you're working for us. Is that true?"

"Yes, dear. I'm so happy to see you again," she gave him a huge bag of mixed candies. "My oh my, you've grown tall!"

Andy nodded with a smile. After exchanging a few kind words, he returned to his study room to resume his homeschool with his tutor while Anna prepared to start cleaning.

Meanwhile, Ariel was getting ready to go to work when Anna stopped her.

"What's up, Anna?"

"Can I ask your help in one more thing, dear?"

"Sure, what's that?"

"It may be too much to ask. You've helped Leon in ways he'd never imagined - saving his life, even cooking those soups for him in secret to save his liver."

"Ah..that," Ariel gave a sheepish smile.

"Oh," Anna gave a playful nudge. "I know deep inside, you still care for him. This year is the most difficult period for Leon that I've ever seen him in, especially with his debts. If you could help him, please."

"I can't help him with his debts, Anna. I don't earn millions," Ariel let out an uneasy laugh.

"No, I'm not asking you to solve his debts. I'm asking if you can give a positive boost to his reputation? People are so unfair and critical of him because of his past mistakes. Yet, he's not dated anyone since that scandal."

"He's not?" Ariel raised her eyebrows.

Anna confirmed, "No one. I've not seen him bring a single woman home, and he's not touched a single drop of alcohol. He's making an effort to change his life for the better, but the world doesn't want that. They'd rather be entertained by his downfall and his shameful past."

Ariel recalled Leon's obvious attempt to avoid Hiromi. Was he really trying? Old habits were hard to die, after all. Knowing that Leon was really single and somehow trying to turn his life around for the better made Ariel's heart glad.

"Since you two have resumed contact, please help him cos' I don't know anyone who can help him better than you. Leon's like family to me and I hate to see him suffer like this. He's helped you before, after all. Remember how he spent days with you in the hospital and had Andy taken care of?"

"I'll see what I can do," Ariel assured, although she had no idea how.

—————

"Well done, Ariel-san! I couldn't be more proud of you," Mr Fujita praised Ariel.

Hinata restaurant recently earned two Michelin stars, garnering so much publicity that Ariel had to hire more staff and the restaurant continued to be packed to the brim, with more franchises opening locally and overseas.

Ariel felt proud that her own hard work paid off. Earning a Michelin star in her lifetime was something she never imagined was possible. It meant the world to her. To celebrate their hard work, all the staff at Hinata were rewarded with a fun day at an elite sea-side country club which Mr Fujita and Hiroshi were members of, and a big celebration high-end dinner to end the day. Everyone was given extra two days to their annual leave plus an additional one month early bonus.