Chapter 19

I DON'T OWN PICTURE

Chara straighten her posture as high she could and take couple steps forward, leaving Loki behind her back. "Maybe. What about it?" Chara ask warily. Tony stare at her mistrust clearly in his eyes. Natasha and Clint have hands on their weapons. Wanda and Vision look both ready to attack. Steve and Bucky stare at her shocked. "This legend is from 13th century. What are you?" Tony ask, like accusing her of something. Chara smirk darkly. "I never said that I am mortal." Chara answer. Tony summon iron suit's glove to his right hand and point it toward Chara. "What. Are. You?" Tony growl. Chara snort. "I saved your asses yesterday, I saved you from much more dangerously creature than those aliens. I protected you and paid the prize of it. Is this really how you pay back?" Chara question, move her weight to right leg and put her hands on her waist. She has mocking expression on her face.

"Everyone, stand down." Steve command and move to stand between them, facing Avengers. "Out of way Cap. She is dangerous." Clint answer and pull arrow more back. Chara glare at them all. She feel how Loki gather his magic. She peek over her shoulder and mouth no. Chara hope that Loki for once do as told. "She is right, she saved us yesterday. None of us died because of her." Steve try to reason with others. Suddenly Thor walk inside behind Chara. He stop when he see scene front of him. "What is happening?" He ask confuse. "Winter has fooled us all. She is some crazy old villain." Tony yell and glare at Steve who stand his way. Thor look at everyone, then he burst in laughter. 

Everyone expect Chara turn to look at him confuse. Thor laugh and walk to stand next to Chara. "She saved us yesterday, she might be older than she look." Chara rise her eyebrow to Thor. "But she is clearly in good side right now. We shouldn't incriminate her about things we don't know for sure." Thor say and smile first to Chara and then to others. Others slowly lower their weapons after sharing a look. Steve sigh in relief. Chara watch others warily. "How old are you anyway?" Thor suddenly ask. Chara glare at him. "You shouldn't ask that from woman prince. Your mother didn't teach you that?" Chara tease. Thor smirk. "I think I really like you Winter. You remind me of Lady Sif." Chara rise her eyebrow again. "Come, I tell you about her in breakfast table." Thor say and lead her toward kitchen table. Chara peek over her shoulder and tilt her head to signal Loki to join her. 

Thor tell the story of Lady Sif, warrior woman who refuse to be put in home, who prove to everyone than other women beside Valkyries could be great fighters. Chara listen interested about this woman while she eat. Then she feel how Wanda try to read her mind. Chara rapidly turn to glare at her. "If you don't stop it right now, I will freeze your mind." She growl to Wanda. Wanda pull back and look at Chara scared. "We need to know." Chara turn to look at Bucky. "What?" She snap. "Is that person really you, in that legend?" Bucky continue. Chara growl. 

Everyone turn to look at her. "Fine. Yes, yes it is me. I'm around same age as these guys." Chara answer and wave toward Thor and Loki beside her. "I once round up an army and conquer couple small countries and found Vinterfjall. I rule over it around two decades when I got tired of that everything got carried to me, everything was so easy. They either worshiped or feared me. I have always fought for everything in my life. For food I ate, place I slept, my spot to be. I disappear in battlefield. Vinterfjall fall apart in two years, but legend of me went around." Chara tell them piss off. Everyone stare at her shocked, some have fear in their eyes. "Monster..." Tony whisper, he didn't mean Chara to hear it. Chara slam her left hand on table and jump to her feet. "For fucks sake Stark. I could conquer Earth in couple days if I want. I'm not interested of ruling over anyone. I will leave this place as soon as Fury says so and we hopefully have not to see each others ever again." Chara yell, glare at him and move to rush out of room. 

Chara storm outside, ignoring her screaming injuries. She slam front door open and start to jog toward forest. I should see this coming, they will never accept me. I'm always someone everyone scare. She thought angry to herself and throw ice dagger near tree. Chara almost fall over when pain shot through her right arm she used. "Fuck." She curse and lean on tree, she slip against it to sit on ground. She hit her back of head against tree. "I'm a idiot." She whisper to herself and look at sky. Chara close her eyes and let gently summer breeze caress her face and her rage to cool down. Suddenly someone clear their throat. Chara open her eyes and see Loki standing front of her. "Hi." Chara say softly. "May I?" Loki ask and point spot next to her. Chara nod. Loki sit next to her on ground. 

Chara chuckle and Loki raise his eyebrow to her. "I never imagine that prince of Asgard would sit on ground next to me." Chara answer and smile before turning her gaze toward sky. Loki snort. "Are you okay?" He ask eventually. Chara shrug. "Not my first or last time." She answer indifferent. "Chara.." Loki say worried. Chara feel shiver run down her spine after hearing Loki say her name. "That sound so weird." She chuckle. "I haven't use my real name in centuries. Steve and Bucky knew me as Elisa Smith. Fury and others know me as Winter. I haven't had any sort of friendships before Steve and Bucky for centuries. I used fake names, telling different one every time i moved." Chara continue and smile sadly to memories. 

"Why?" Loki whisper. Chara's stop smiling. "I had one friend around 16th century. We fight side by side in middle east. I kept my magic as secret. He accept me under his command, he saw me as warrior not just a woman. I fought harder than any other, I try to prove myself to others too. They saw me as woman, they try to humiliate me many times. One time they got really drunk and decide to have some fun. They.... put something on my water when I refused to drink alcohol with them. I got really drowsy and went to my tent. They soon followed me. They throw me on my blanket and start to strip me. I panicked and yell them to stop. Because of my drowsiness I couldn't push them away from me." Chara swallow and shiver from disgust. "When they rip last of my clothes off and start to feel my body, I snap. My magic push them away and freeze them on spot. I sit there, panting and shivering. I grab my clothes and pull my shirt on me. Then William came running. He look shocked between me and frozen men. He blame me for witchcraft and yell to guards. I had to fought my way out. I managed to summon my armor on me. I was too drowsy to teleport anywhere. I cut them down. William last word was demon. He saw me as demon as soon as he saw real me." Chara tell to Loki, staring at sky. She didn't dare to look at him.

"After that I... ran. I made living as mercenary. I earn well. I made some investing and soon I had enough money to stop that. I bought treasures here and there, I have made fortune. I don't have to work for centuries if I don't want to." Chara continue quietly. "You're not demon or monster Chara." Loki say comforting. Chara turn look at him with shocked expression. "I'm goddess of Winter, or I think I am at least. Of course I am a demon. I can manipulate weather if I want." Chara answer calmly. "I freeze everything if I lose control." She whisper, tears forming in her eyes. Loki put his hand on her shoulder gently. "Thor can manipulate weather, none see him as monster. He is God of Thunder." Loki tell to her gently. 

Chara smile softly. "He is a hero, he is raised to be a king. I am outcast, wanted by no one without my powers." She answer to Loki. Chara put her finger over Loki's lips when he open his mouth to argue. "Thank you for trying to cheer me up but you are free Loki. I don't want you to stay with me for only out of gratitude. As I say, you deserve a second chance." Chara say before removing her finger. "I will be fine." She say lastly and push herself up. "Chara-" Pained howling cut Loki off. Chara whip her head toward forest and Kiba's voice. "Kiba." Chara whisper and push herself to run toward him. "Chara wait!" Loki yell and rush after her.