Chapter 9

Chara has made plate full of sandwiches, ice tea jug and cups appear in table. Loki look at her surprised. "What? I don't want to handle them right now. I always have some tea or coffee and sandwiches ready." She smirk. Chara braid her hair so plait start from her left temple and circle around her head so plait come over her right shoulder. She grab couple sandwiches and tea, she cross her legs front of her in couch and start to eat. She open the TV and put on some nature document about Alaska. Loki follow her example and start to eat too. Chara enjoy their comfortable silence. She didn't know why she like Loki's companion so much, she is surprised she could relax that much with him. 

They eat in silence for couple minutes. "What happened?" Chara hear suddenly Loki ask from her. She turn toward him and tilt her head in confusion. Loki point toward her prosthetic leg. "What happened?" He ask again. Chara look to her leg and then back to Loki. Chara shrug while swallowing. "My biological mother didn't like when I refuse to join her." She answer finally. Loki frown. "What happen to her?" He ask quietly. Chara think for a second what she should answer. "I killed her." She answer and turn back TV. Loki stay quiet for a moment. "Then why you are so kind to me?" He ask warily. Chara sigh, shut the TV, lower her cup on coffee table and turn sit toward him properly. "Loki... I have no reason to act hostile toward you. I'm curious about you. I'm not ready to tell you... whole story yet, but I really like to know why Allfather Odin decide to adopt you." She answer truthfully. Loki seem to think about her words and evaluate if there is any lies.

"You knew I am adopted?" Loki ask. Chara nod "Fury told me". Loki grit his teeth. "So you want to know why he take me in?" He growl. Chara frown but nod again. Kiba has rise his head after hearing Loki's angry voice. Chara see how Loki stiffen his posture and put indifferent mask on his face. "He take me in as war trophy, in case Jotunheim start new war. I am negotiation tool, nothing more nothing less. I'm not Asgardian, my true nature is Jotun." He spit out. Chara tilt her head, grab her chin and think. Loki sit in his place without any movements, eyes strictly on cup front of him. "Is that why you see yourself as monster?" Chara ask eventually. Loki snap out of his thoughts and turn to look at curious Chara. "I am one of those monsters that parents tell about nights to their children." He answer voice full of self-hatred. Chara could see how tight he squeeze his fists. 

Chara lower her hands in her lap. "I don't see you as monster Loki." "I attacked Midgard, I killed 80 human in two days." He spit back. Chara shrug. "I have killed more in less time. Hell even so righteous Captain Rogers have killed people, no one see him as bad guy." Chara answer. Loki relax a little but Chara could see in his eyes that he isn't fully believing her. "I don't care that you are a Jotun, I don't think that Thor care about it. He still see you as his brother, same one he grew up with." She continue. Loki turn to look at his hands. Suddenly Chara realize something. "Is that reason for your hand color change while holding ice dagger?" Loki nod. "Coldness can make my true nature come in sight." He answer quietly. "Interesting." Chara murmur under her breath. 

Loki glare at her. "I'm nothing in Odin's eyes. I'm Laufeyson, not Odinson." He say angrily. Chara tilt her head. "You're Laufey's as king Laufey?" Loki didn't answer. Chara stay quiet for a moment. "Odin didn't tell you about your true heritage?" "No" "He raised you like his own?" "He always favorite Thor, but yes." Chara stay quiet for a moment. Then she smile sadly to Loki. "At least he wanted you." She whisper sadly. He glare at her. "He didn't want me, he wanted to own me." Loki growl. Chara didn't answer, she turn to pick up her teacup. "What?" Loki ask angrily. "You know why he took you in. He chose to took you in." She answer sadly. Loki curse something under his breath.

Chara grab one of spell books from table and start to read it. She has lower her now empty teacup on table. Chara played with her plait. She couldn't focus on text front of her. Her mind swirl around the conservation. He choose to abandon me, he didn't want me. Those thoughts play in her head. Kiba sense her distress and come to her. He lay his head in Chara's lap and whine softly. Chara snap out of her thoughts and turn to look at him. She smile softly, lower her book and start to pet his head. "I'm okay boy. No need to worry." She say gently, Kiba whine again. Chara chuckle. "You know me too well." She whisper, completely forgetting Loki being there. "What you mean he wanted me?" Loki suddenly ask. Chara stiffen. Kiba glance toward Loki before whining to Chara again. She continue to pet Kiba's head. "That is story for another time. Sorry Loki, I'm not ready to tell you about that yet." She answer, avoiding his gaze.

 Chara wait worried to Loki's answer. "Fine..." He answer and open his book again. Chara let out breath she didn't realized holding and relax. Chara continue to pet Kiba who has closed his eyes. After couple minutes Loki suddenly slam his book shut and turn toward Chara. "You really don't scare me?" He ask unbelieving her. Chara smile to him softly. "I have no reason to scare you." "But you were in New York, fighting against Chitauries I summon." Loki try to reason. Chara chuckle. "Yes I was, I haven't had good fight like that in very long time." She answer and smirk to Loki. He huff and stare at her. "Loki... You aren't the only one who has tried to rule over Earth. I have fight against many of them. Hell I even once conquer my own piece of this planet. I get bored of ruling after couple decades and decide that fighting is much more fun." Chara say humorously. 

Loki stare at her mouth open. "You did what?" he ask confuse. Chara smirk more widely to him. "Avengers would probably try to lock me up if they know the whole story of me." She wink her eye to him and chuckle. Loki look at her and eventually burst in laughter, he genuinely laugh. Chara laugh with Loki. After Loki calm down, he wipe his eyes and smile to her. "You are much more than you look Lady Winter." Chara smirk mischievously. "You have no idea prince." She answer.