"ay bella, this all smells wonderful." he said and kissed the side of my head.

"I hope to God you didn't cook, we'll die of salmonella." Matteo said.

"the one time I undercooked your pasta and you never let it go." I said and smiled at him. It was like 8 years ago, he was very sick after that.

Lo came and kissed my cheek. He was happy, he was marrying a lovely girl soon.

"are we expecting guests?" my mother asked from the other head of the table.

"no. I just wanted us all to be together." I said and sat next to Lo.

He smiled at me and my dad sent the wine around the table.

My mother refused.

I sighed. I just wanted tonight to be normal. But she was back to her old self. I barely spoke to her the last few days. I never noticed how she was behaving toward everyone else.

"well, to Lo. Getting married soon and being happy. I love you Lo. You're the worst brother ever" I said and raised my glass. Everyone cheered in agreement.

The night was mostly silence and clattering of silverware.

I didn't mind it. I was just happy to be out of my room and my mind on something else.

After dinner, my papa had lots of things to do with Matteo and Lo, so I went upstairs to my room.

My phone started ringing and for a split second I hoped it was Axle. But it wasn't, it was Carter.

I took a deep breath and slid my thumb across the screen to answer the call.

"hello Mr Agnello, to what do I owe the pleasure?" I said and smiled. I sat down on my bed and looked out the window listening to his voice.

"good evening Ms Hayes, I believe the pleasure is all mine listening to your voice. Tell me, have you eaten tonight?" he asked and I smiled harder. He was perfect.

"I wish I didn't, but I just ate a while ago. I made some pretty good chicken if you want to come over." I said and hesitated but the words were already out of my mouth before I could stop myself.

"ah, I am on the way to you. I just picked up a bottle of sauvignon blanc. Get dressed, I'll take you for a drive, yeah?" he said and my heart fluttered. For that moment, Carter Agnello was all I could think of. And I enjoyed that moment more than I thought I would.

"thank you Carter, I'll be ready soon." I said and hung up.

I threw myself out of bed and went into my bathroom. I brushed my hair into a ponytail and put on some lipstick. It was a warm night, so I put on a loose dress and threw on my bunny slippers.

After 10 minutes I heard the front bell ringing. My father went to answer the door.

"ah, Carter. Lovely to see you. What brings you by?" he asked with a glass of scotch in his hand.

"I'm here for Katerina. Taking her for a drive." he said and my father shook his hand. I was watching from the corner of the staircase where they couldn't see me.

"Katerina, Carter is here for you bella." he said and I made it look like I was walking out from my room.

I looked at the both of them, my father fixed his eyes on my shoes.

"did I pay for those?" he said and shook his head.

"not voluntarily." I said and went to him, he kissed the side of my head.

"not too late." he said and walked back to his study.

Carter took my hand in his.

"these shoes, they're my favorite ones of yours." he said and kissed my cheek. I smiled.