Store-bought

Summary: The child is not produce.

Ink smiled as he threw open his charming abode's front door, bags of groceries in hand, and chimed, "Dreamy! I'm back from the grocery store with the thyme and vegetables you wanted, and this time I didn't even lose Palette!"

Dream promptly appeared from the kitchen to help him, reaching for some bags.

"Oh, thank yo-" He froze mid-sentence.

Judging by the growing horror on his husband's face, Ink knew he messed up- even if he had no idea what exactly he did wrong.

The answer became clear, though, when the other gestured toward the baby sling on his chest and cried, "Where is our son?! That's a bag of potatoes!"

Ink glanced looked down.

True to Dream's word, he did indeed have bagged potatoes where his son used to be safely cradled.

"Huh... I thought he was being quieter than usual- We should keep these instead!"

"INK!"

At the yellow-clad guardian's vicious snarl, the artist held his hands up in a placating manner. "Okay, okay! I'll go back and find him."

Somewhere else, in an abandoned AU, Nightmare strolled into his castle's spacious, somewhat modernized kitchen.

The numerous stone counters within were overflowing with piles upon piles of logo-ed plastic bags, which bled onto the floor beneath. Each bag contained so many foods, ingredients, and other necessities that they looked about ready to burst.

In fact, a few bags on the ground already had.

Nightmare cautiously walked around the mess and addressed the food-loving Sans, who had busied himself stocking the items in the lower cupboards. "Ah, Horror. I see you've returned from your shopping trip." He once again swept his eyelight across the many bags, adding in a flat yet joking voice, "Did you find everything you were looking for?"

"...Yeah." The broken-skulled skeleton replied, not once looking away from his task, storing one boxed/canned food after another.

The Guardian of Negativity nodded in approval despite knowing the other couldn't see it. Then stepped closer, leaning in to examine the goods on the central counter.

After a moment of scrutiny, he couldn't help noticing something that didn't belong amongst what his follower acquired: a small - far, far too small to be more than a few months old - infant skeleton adorned by a starry yellow and green onesie.

Nightmare aborted, quickly jumping back and accidentally knocking a foot against a stray bag. Thus, creating a loud clank (likely caused by a can) and a rustle.

Which, in turn, caught the tiny monster's attention.

Their multicolored yellow/green eyelights instantly locked onto him before they released an excited squeal and fruitlessly grabbed at the air in the dark lord's direction.

His entire body froze. Even the tendrils on his back, which typically wiggled and swayed as he stood, became motionless.

The Guardian of Negativity slowly questioned, "Why is there a... baby?"

"There... was a buy one get one free sale on bags of potatoes... I couldn't find another bag." Horror murmured, standing. His large clawed hands were extremely careful as he freed the infant from the bags and cradled them to his chest.

Nightmare relaxed when his watcher's attention shifted to strings on his subordinate's hoodie.

"So you deemed it fit to bring home a baby instead."

At the other's hesitant nod, a tired sigh brushed past the dark lord's jaws while his eyelight glanced downward and landed on the target-souled skeleton rummaging through the grocery bags on the floor, no doubt trying to find the candy Horror promised him. "Well, I suppose it isn't the worst thing you've brought home."