LII. Broken heart

"This new year, may you have new chances to prove about your worth."
----------------------------------------------

Sadness, it has been my soulmate all my life. I was smiling on the outside for Anu's sake. Anu did everything for me and took care of me and me being sad will make her more sad. So, I kept a fake smile on my face and that smile was plastered on my face and became my shield. That shield helped me a lot in hiding my true feelings. When Diya and Abhi came into my life, they brought a real smile onto my face and into my life. I felt like a person after a long time and thought that I deserve to have some happiness in my life. That didn't last long, now I have my husband accusing me for the mistake I did not commit.

If he spoke to me the same way, I would not have allowed him to get away with it. But the situation is different now, I made a mistake and Abhi took it wrong. It is on me to make him believe that what he thought was not true so even after knowing what he thought about me and judged me, I stayed and I wanted to know what secret he was talking about and clear the air between us. I also need to make him believe that I didn't commit a mistake because he may not accept my baby. "What secret are you talking about, Abhi?" I asked him in a small voice, which was foreign to my own ears.

"Are you serious now?" He scoffed at me but there was still confusion etched on my face. "I can't believe you; you are making me tell you everything. I expected you to beg in front of me that you didn't cheat on me and that it was all a misunderstanding." I stayed numb and he continued taunting me. "Oh, then it is true then, you are cheating on me with him."

"No Abhi, I didn't cheat on you." I said after he completed his last sentence. "I know that you're not going to believe me. I want to know what assumptions you meet about me so that I can clear them and prove my innocence to you." I replied in a raspy voice.

Abhi started clapping and walked around me. "Wow Avni! You are good at it. For a second there I believed your words, it's not the first time I had a cheating woman in my life. So I know how to deal with people like you." I was unable to find anything for his acquisition. When I tried to explain the situation to him, he didn't even think about it and laughed in my face. I have no confidence that he will believe me but it's my responsibility to prove my innocence and I think my only hope is Daksh.

He started speaking again when I didn't utter a single word. "You want to listen to the truth from my mouth right? Ok then. From today onwards, you are not allowed into my life or Diya's life either. Your relationship with my family ends now." I tried to open my mouth and stop him but he held his hand up and prevented me from speaking. I let the dam free and tears fell from my eyes when I looked into his eyes. He is serious about the things he told now and I know that I will not be in their life anymore.

"D-don't Abhi," my voice broke as I spoke between my cries. "I-i can't live m-my life w-without you or Diya in my life," I took a deep breath as it was difficult for me to continue speaking. Abhi stood impassively in front of me with his hands in jeans pocket. "It i-is a misunderstanding. Just let me explain everything to you, everything will be fine. Just give me a single chance." I joined my hands in front of me and begged him. I may look pathetic and weak to others, they may consider me weak for begging the one who judged me for my character. But, I don't want to lose a relationship which made my life just because of a simple misunderstanding.

"I am not a fool. I can't give you a chance knowing that you have a husband to be or your boyfriend is waiting for you. You both must have plotted behind my back and enjoyed seeing me suffer, right?" He removed his hands from his pocket and weaved it through his hair making a mess of his hair. He looked in the opposite direction lost in thoughts as I tried to grasp the new piece of information.

It was reasonable that he thought I was cheating on him. I provided him with those questions and doubts. The situations that happened in his life were also no help for me. But, I really couldn't understand from where he got the idea that I was going to marry Daksh. "Those words sounded like a cruel joke to my own ears. I knew the person for a short period but we both instantly clicked because of our common interests and at that point, I also needed a friend to stand beside me. So, I became close to him as a friend and shared all the things that were bottled up inside me. Other than that I have no feelings towards him and how can I even think of that when I have the person I love in my life." I wanted to shout the words out at him and yank him hard so that he would understand me and get the words into his thick head. I opened my mouth to do it but instead of words, a sob escaped from my mouth.