XXIX. Seema

Everyone was silent, observing the situation, assessing the young woman, who arrived unannounced creating a commotion

Everyone was silent, observing the situation, assessing the young woman, who arrived unannounced creating a commotion. The girl looked young, probably in her mid-twenties. Some members recognized her and the shock was visible on their faces, while others were excited to get some gossip from the Goenka family. The girl, dressed in a filthy dress, there was mud all over her dress and some visible wounds on her arms, cheeks, and legs. There was sadness on her face. Only one saw something different in her eyes, greed, and satisfaction for the attention she got.

Avni stood still keeping a blank face. She was looking at the pair, who didn't break. She shifted her gaze from Seema to Abhi's back, she knew he was tense, by his stiffened posture.

Seema started crying, making loud sounds. Everyone present at the party stared at them, and they started whispering loudly about them.

"Isn't she his ex?"

"Oh, she's his baby's mother, right?"

"What about Mrs. Goenka? Does she know about them?" The questions did not hurt Avni, they were mere facts and she knew that at one point people might start speaking about them. It didn't bother her, but she knew that she need to take them away from prying eyes as it can stir trouble in their lives.

Avni approached Abhi and took his hand into hers, she interlaced her fingers with his. Feeling a touch Abhi looked down and looked at their intertwined fingers. He held her hands tight and slowly moved his gaze from their hands to her eyes. Avni felt her breathe loose from her lungs after seeing the look in his eyes, his eyes were not filled with any anger or sadness, neither were they blank. There was a remorse look in his eyes he was feeling guilty. He was feeling guilty after seeing Seema's condition, he was blaming himself for the pain she suffered even not knowing the full story.

Avni wanted to leave him alone, but the weight along her neck reminded her of her new responsibility that she now has a family's responsibility. She wet her dry lips, leaned towards him, and whispered in her ears.

"Abhi we need to take her away from here." And looked around her and noted some people click some photos with their mobiles trying to be discreet.

Abhi followed her suit and looked around, he nodded his head agreeing to her. Avni moved towards his other side and slowly pulled Seema towards her. She feels that the woman is disgusting but there was no option left for her.

Seema glared at Avni to which Avni did not react. Seema fainted on her adding more weight towards her. It's a pitiful move, a security approached them and took Seema from Avni. Avni smiled at him grateful to have the extra weight off her. Abhi approached him and whispered something in his ear. The person nodded his head took Seema in a bridal way, and took her away from the scene.

Avni observed them go out until their figures disappeared. She was startled when she felt a hand slip into hers, she didn't dare to look down or at him, she kept her eyes straight not even looking side.