Jungkook laughed a cynical laugh, "I doubt I'll go to college and there is no way they would let me be in the Olympics."

She grabbed his forearm then and looked at him, her gaze flitting from his right eye to his left, trying to figure him out. "Why? Why do you say that?" Not getting a response from him she asked, "You don't know how amazing you are, do you?"

He pulled his arm from her hand, "Stop!" His face looked like he might be in pain. Quieter he said, "Just stop. You don't know me at all." 

He started walking away and he heard her say behind him, "I think you are the one that doesn't know you."

The male PE teacher, Mr. Hak, came up to Madison then. "You probably won't get the same results with him that you got with the girl in the warm-up run" He warned. "Probably best to not even try."

Madison was disgusted by this teacher's words but she didn't let it show. "Did you know he could run like that?" Mr. Hak nodded. 

"I'm sure you've begged him to be on your track team. I could try to help, if you want."

Mr. Hak shook his head. "No, his type doesn't do organized sports. He has a bad attitude."

Madison's eyebrows raised in surprise, "Are you kidding? Maybe you could explain to me about his attitude, because from what I've seen, he's in uniform, he's on time to class, he got most of the points for his volleyball team yesterday, he ran an amazing 1600 meter today and then beat the entire class at the long and triple jumps." 

Mr. Hak was bothered by her tone, "Listen here young lady, at this school, you can't talk to a teacher like that." 

She knew she was being disrespectful. It would be at least a detention. But she often refused to shy away from the truth, even if there was a punishment attached. "Tell me Mr. Hak, has your school ever had a student win at Regionals or Nationals in boys' track?" 

Mr. Hak was annoyed but he shook his head, "No, but..."

"That is because you refuse to recruit the school's best athletes when they don't fit into your stereotype. I guarantee the high school students winning this year have coaches that encourage the talented athletes even if the coach has to help work on their attitudes." Madison knew she had said more than enough, Mr. Hak looked like he was going to pop a vein. She turned and walked away before he could reprimand her again.

Mr. Hak called a couple things to her as she walked across the field, but she ignored them and went to the locker room. For good or for bad, Madison often couldn't stop herself once she was passionate about something.

After changing from her PE clothes, Madison made her way to Jungkook in the cafeteria. She came up behind him and put her hands on his shoulders. She felt him stiffen but she just leaned down and quickly said in his ear, "I'm sorry I made you feel bad." Then let go and walked around the table to find a place to eat.

As she passed by the end of the table Taehyung grabbed her hand. "Madison, I'm Taehyung, Jungkookie's older brother. Will you eat with us today?" He had a beautiful rectangular smile and friendly eyes. His hair was a chestnut brown with highlights and it looks so soft. He had a sweet look in his eyes. Madison smiled at him then looked to Jungkook to see if he approved of her eating with them.

Jungkook shook his head but said nothing. He knew he needed to stay away from her kind eyes and approving looks as much as he could.

Jimin stood up then and grabbed Madison's other hand. Jimin had a beautiful head of blond hair. He was decorated in the most lovely silver jewelry. Jimin licked his lips and ran his free hand through his hair then put on a charming expression for her. "I also vote that you eat with us. Which makes it two to one. I'm Jimin by the way."

Madison shook her head and pulled her hands away. "Nice to meet you both. Thank you for the invitation, but Jungkook counts as ten votes. Sorry." Then she walked away.

Jungkook watched her being greeted by many students as she walked across the cafeteria. He could tell people were asking her to eat with them, scooting over and making room. Maddy greeted each one with her bright smile but kept walking until she got to a nearly empty table. He saw her take the seat across from Dalrae. The girls smiled at each other and fell into conversation. He also saw Minje take her lunch over to sit with Maddy. 

Jungkook had often felt like an outsider in school, like he didn't really fit in with the others. So seeing Maddy reach out and befriend Dalrae touched his heart in a way he didn't know was even possible. But he pushed the feeling away because he was determined not to fall victim to her charms. He had learned long ago that when you open yourself up to someone, it just invites them to hurt you.

---

Madison had waited all through Choir to get her detention slip and when it didn't come she was relieved. Maybe Mr. Hak wasn't as mad as she had thought. Maybe he thought about her words and realized the truth in what she was saying.

She moved on to Chemistry. Jungkook was already seated, looking down at his phone, when she came in. She greeted him but he didn't look up at her, he just nodded his head a bit. Today they were doing a lab where they needed to discover the properties of some elements. They had eight test tubes, each with a few crystals of a different element. They needed to perform various tests like conductivity, reaction to hydrochloric acid, and reaction to copper chloride.

Jungkook noticed Madison was fidgety, but they had a lot of hands-on work to do, so that seemed to help. Her hands were kept busy by doing the experiment.

Part way through the period an office assistant entered the room and gave a yellow slip of paper to Mr. Kim. Jungkook knew exactly what that was. It was a detention slip. Several students looked over at Jungkook, he was usually the one who received the detentions. But he honestly couldn't think of what he had done. He hadn't skipped class or been disruptive or anything. But the teacher was headed for Jungkook's table so he knew it was for him.

Weirdly, the teacher handed the slip to Maddy. Jungkook reached over and plucked it from her hand, knowing it was for him. Then he frowned when he saw LEE MADISON written at the top. He looked at her, "YOU got a detention?!"

She gave him a little smile, "I guess so."

He looked back at the pass. "You got a detention from my PE teacher for being disrespectful?" The tone of his voice showed he didn't think it could be true.

Maddy cringed a little, "I was a bit disrespectful." She reached over and took the note from his hand and folded it and put it in the pocket of her uniform blazer.

Jungkook was still looking at her, "Well, are you going to tell me what happened?" He was still trying to process even the possibility of her getting a detention. He lived in detention, he knew what kinds of students were there. She would not fit in. If her personality confused him before, he was completely baffled now.

"I actually don't really want to talk about it, if that's okay. Shall we finish our lab?" She went back to working on the experiments.

Jungkook could not let it go, he reached out to touch her arm. He said gently, "Tell me what happened."

She smiled at him, "It's okay. It isn't a big deal. I've had lots of detentions before." 

Jungkook's eyes narrowed, "I don't believe you."

Maddy tipped her head back and laughed. He loved her laugh so much. "I can assure you, I'm no stranger to detention. I've even had Saturday School and been suspended twice."

Was this a new ploy she was using? Trying to pretend she was a bad girl to become his friend? School was almost over and he didn't want to end this conversation. Jungkook put his head back and yelled, "FUCK!" Maddy threw her hands up in the air and jumped at least a foot off her stool. Her face showing how startled she was by his outburst.

But he just stood up and walked towards the front of the room. On his way up, Mr. Kim said, "That is a detention, Jungkook."

When Jungkook came back to his seat he smiled and held up his yellow slip to show Maddy. "Looks like we'll have time to finish this conversation in detention."