Chapter Eighteen: Caught Up in the Details

A/N: today, an old character from COTS returns! no one that we like, sorry.

"You have a plan?" Valerie asked.

"Of course, I always have a plan," Beatrix replied.

"Well, what is it then?" I demanded.

Beatrix leaned up against the glass wall, surveying us casually. "You know how the call cut off and I said your phone died?" she asked Valerie, who nodded. "It didn't die, that was just me turning it off. I wanted Evianna to think it was dead, so she wouldn't bother to tell the guards about it."

"That's actually pretty smart," I admitted. Not an elaborate plan, but a more competent one that I could have come up with.

"Exactly," Beatrix responded, as she turned it back on. "What's your password?" she asked.

"Four-three-two-one. It's smart 'cause it's backwards!" Valerie said. Beatrix gave her a momentary scathing look, then tapped in the combination, and I watched the screen light up. "What percentage is it at?" Valerie asked.

"Fifty-four. We're good," Beatrix assured her.

"What about the security cameras?" she asked worriedly. "They'll see that we have a phone."

"That's why we need to move quickly," Beatrix said.

I watched her through the glass, as she called Pluto again, who picked up almost instantly. "Beatrix? What happened?" they asked.

"We got put in the same place Olivia was," she explained. "Where are you guys?"

"We're still parked outside," Pluto said. "It's getting really dark and we can't see outside of the car, but we don't want to leave since you guys are still in there."

"Your voice is kinda muffled," Beatrix told them.

"We're all lying at the bottom of the car," I heard Hayley say. "And we had to talk quietly. There are some new guards positioned in front of the little house. And they have machine guns."

"How's Olivia?" I asked, talking louder so I could be heard through the glass.

"I'm okay," Olivia said. "I'm pretty hungry, but we can't exactly leave to get food right now. What happened to Evianna?"

"She betrayed us, that's what happened!" I said. "Thomas is promising her powers, that's why she's doing this."

"I mean, it makes sense," Pluto admitted. "She's been pretty much powerless her whole life."

"It doesn't make sense!" Olivia insisted. "She's our friend, she wouldn't do this to us."

"She's not doing this to you," Beatrix scoffed. "She's doing this to Damira and I. She barely knows us, so she doesn't owe us anything."

"How are you guys gonna get out of the cells?" Hayley asked. "Since you don't know the codes?"

Just then, the door opened, and Beatrix quickly ended the call, shoving the tiny phone down her shirt. I looked up, and was shocked to see who it was. "Maggie?" I said in disbelief, shocked to see the woman I knew to work at the orphanage. I hadn't seen her in months.

"Yes, yes, it's me," she said.

"Wait, is that-" Beatrix started.

"You three girls seem to be in a bit of a pickle," she commented.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. "You're supposed to be at the orphanage!"

"So are you!" she said. "It's always such a hassle when children try to run away. Even more so when they succeed. Well, don't stand there goggling, I'm getting you out of here!"

Master of the StormOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara