| TWELVE |

"What is love? It is the morning and the evening star." — Sinclair Lewis

" — Sinclair Lewis

Lunch was surely... different. People stared on as I walked over to your table with Neil. Amelia had some last meeting to conduct so she'd meet us in a while. I cowered under the intent gazes until you came up beside me.

Your hair was slicked back with water but you still looked as vibrant as the rising sun. You seemed unaffected with the attention people bore thought you and I stared on in fascination until Neil leaned in and whispered that I was drooling.

Your table was the longest in the cafeteria, it was so to accommodate the entire football team and a few others. I cautiously padded to a corner and perched on a corner seat. Neil took the seat next to me and Amelia took the one next to him.

When I gazed up to see where you were - at the end of the table - you saw me and waved from the other side of the table. Before I knew it, you had moved into the seat opposite of mine. Amelia, who had seen this whistled and Neil coughed very noticeably.

"Hey," You greeted joyfully as your lips tugged into a heartfelt smile. I returned the action shakily before looking to my left where Kayla and the other jocks were.

Kayla was glaring daggers at me and I felt a twinge of satisfaction before I shot it down instantly. She had a right to stare at me, I guess. You were hers but you sat across from me - god knows why you did.

"Um, are you going to sit here?" I asked as my eyes remained on the girl on the other side. You peered up from your tray an innocent frown on your lips, "Yes? Do you want me to go?"

I immediately pivoted my heat to you, alarm clear as day flashing in my eyes, "No! I didn't mean that, I meant," I spared another glance at my left and you followed my eyes.

"Oh her. I can say this is a great opportunity to get away from her," You sighed in clear frustration as you rolled your magnificent eyes. I was staring at you so absentmindedly that I didn't register your statement too soon.

Wait, but weren't you together? Or have you broken up again? I hadn't heard anything of the sort though.

"Aren't you two together?"

You sighed in exasperation as you looked at me a little stolidly, "No. We haven't been back together since the beginning of the year. We're just friends - no more. I don't know why Kayla can't understand that."

Your words had my lips stretching across my face as my heart soared. I couldn't believe this! You were single and you were finally noticing me! I never thought this could happen. I was finally getting your attention.

I was finally on the right road to knowing and loving you completely. But the question was, would you let me?

 But the question was, would you let me?