"Anything interesting, dear?" A voice cooed beside her, causing her to harshly jolt away.

Looking up she found eyes that battled the blues of the sea looking her over like crashing waves.

"Leo..." She sighed out, adjusting herself as an unknown chill ran up her spine. "You startled me." Alana softly chuckled.

"That much was obvious," He joked lightly, reaching out to tuck a strand of dark hair behind her ear.

A peachy blush raced across her cheeks as her chest warmed.

"What isn't though, is what you seem to be thinking of with so much concentration." Leopoldo leaned against the banister, his back to the ocean as he gazed down at her.

Alana sighed once more and dropped her head.

Lying has gotten me nowhere but only half of the truth almost got me killed, it is hard to know what to say next.

"I just..." She contemplated excuses upon excuses, but she settled for speaking from her heart. "Things... are so different now, in such a short amount of time."

Leopoldo's eyes flickered from her to the captain who stood on the quarter deck watching them closely.

"How so, dear?" He said as he never took his eyes off Kazumi.

"The three of you will barely look at Ivo, and Ivo will barely look at me. I know what happened was... scary—but is the blame all on Ivo?"

Now Leopoldo sighed, crossing his arms over his broad chest. "If you ask captain, yes."

"I am asking you." Alana countered quickly, surprising even herself.

She swiftly peeked up to Leopoldo who glanced down at her with a cocked brow and then back down to the ocean.

"Well then," Leopoldo started. "My opinion is that he is not to blame... entirely."

Alana's interest was suddenly peaked, her ears perked up at his words.

"You don't?" She quizzed, trying to remain neutral-toned.

"No," Leopoldo responded flatly. "I don't. Though to admit that Ivo takes no-fault, the blame must transfer, dear."

Alana swallowed hard; she had already come to that conclusion a week before. "I know."

All was quiet between the two for a moment, the solemn silence was filled with the bustling crew and waves crashing into the Scorched Bones. Neither one knew exactly what to say next, even if Leopoldo was a smooth talker, he seemed to struggle when it mattered most.

"Dear," He broke the silence after a few waves. "Do you know anything of spirits, more importantly, evil spirits... demons?"

Alana looked up to the man with curiosity and confusion.

"I know of the animal spirits, but I only know of the... demon spirits based on what you all have told me."

"I think you would understand this situation better if I explained it then." Leopoldo turned to face the water with her, leaning down to rest his elbows on the banister. Their shoulders brushed, but they both ignored the small jolt it sent their hearts.

"Unlike Beast Spirits, we are not born with this spirit inside us." He began.

Alana nodded, remembering she was told this information already.

"Anyone brave enough to seek more power will form soul contracts with these evil spirits. They spend most of their life in dark caves clinging onto lesser lifeforms like plants, or bugs... sometimes even dying corpses with the last little bit of life they have. The time they spent in these prisons only fuels their depravity more and more. The more hatred they have, the eviler they are, the stronger they are. That is why you must have unfaltering mental willpower when you invite them into you. If not..."