Chapter 1

{Let's first focus to their backstory}

In the Henituse Household, there is this child, the eldest son of the Territory's Lord, who was known as trash. But before that, he was known as the sweetest child until he became the heartless child.

That was before the accident…

"Mommy!"

"Cale sweetheart, come here!"

The three years old small child ran fast to his mother before he jumped up to her. Instead of getting caught by his mother, his father carried him faster before his mother.

"Dad! I want Mommy to carry me!"

"Cale, you know that your mother can't carry you now."

Cale is well aware that his mother is sick. She looks even paler as days pass by but he also knows that she is still strong.

"I still can." Like his mother said so. He really believes that he still can.

"Then, I'll grow up strong to protect my mother from now on!"

"Ho. I take that as a challenge, son. Shall we start your training now?" He didn't allow his son to talk and started carrying him away from his mother.

"... No! Mommy, help--"

Jour could only laugh watching them slowly disappear from his view. That was when she coughed. She winces at the smell of blood from her handkerchief before sending signals to Ron who is serving her tea. No one must know this incident.

Years passed, Cale continued reaching the strength he would need to protect his lovable mother. Cale always exhausted from hardcore training for a kid like him. They said he has a talent for swordmaster but for Jour, she thought that he really didn't need it, taking that path would just put him in danger and if it's about protecting her, as long as he's here for her, she would feel safe.

"Still fine, sweetheart?" Jour said as she approached her only son and showered him with love.

"Mother!" Cale tries to dodge every kiss she is giving to him but he is really happy to receive such treatment. If Jour knew what he was thinking, she would agree. This precious son of her deserve everyone's love.

But there's a time when her son is not as bright as he usually is. This child acts mature for his age that saddens Jour as the only reason she can think is because of her, the sickness she holds. He doesn't need to worry about her health, what is important is that he will grow happy.

Jour never forgot to visit him every night, she wanted to be there to watch him sleep. Even if Cale rejects her, she would use such an excuse like a monster under the bed. She would be his bodyguard as he slept.

But before he goes to sleep, his favourite spot is near the window. The moonlight is just as attractive as usual. Inside the dark room, the moonlight and stars are the light that guide at night. He feels safe and calm by knowing there's a presence of light guiding him along with his mother.

"Mom, how can a person find happiness?" He hesitated at first but when he asked, his mother chuckled and pinched his cheek. Jour found it cute for her son to ask such questions.

"Happiness, huh? For me, happiness is when I am with my family. I am happy that I am with you and your father. You're also happy, right?"

"Of course! I love Mom the most! And Dad! But what if there's no happiness in that family?"

"Then, maybe you would need to find your happiness somewhere or wait for it to come."

"So if someone makes me happy, they're already considered my family? Is that so?"

"Yes. However, you must wait for real happiness. Sometimes, It's hard to find someone to share your happiness with, they would eventually vanish.

"... mom, sometimes I just don't understand you."

"But right now, you somehow do, right?" The boy hummed in agreement. The lady squealed in her son's invisible cuteness that can only be seen on her own eyes. "My son is so smart and cute~"

"Mom, stop it! Haha!"

The dark room filled with laughter and screams that night. All because of unstoppable tickling and kisses that the mother did to attack her cute son.

As he saw a shooting star, he wished for long everlasting happiness with his family. But soon regretted it after a month.

Jour, a mother of a five years old son, knew when she would die. For a human like her who was born with a weak body, she's lucky to last this long. She should be thankful, but now, she doesn't want to leave her only son.

Instead of waiting for her death, she made it faster by breaking her plate, her ancient power into a half. One left in the Harris Village while the other would be with her in her grave. She knew that her death would have a great impact on his life, but she was sure doing this would help in the future. However, after all that, she was still afraid for her son, it would break him.

It really breaks him.

After the countess's death was announced. He was so shocked that he couldn't express the feeling he should have. Confusion even mixed his emotions. Those days are so terrifying that he can't understand anything except that he should be brave. But for what? For who? For his father?

"Young Master Cale, be strong for your father."

"Take care of your father…"

"Sorry for the loss. I hope you and your father will be fine. Help your father to be happy."

"Young Master Cale, can you help us to get the Count back to his work?"

If not about his father, he can hear rumours about him. They call him emotionless, a monster and an ungrateful bastard for not crying at his mother's funeral.

It's really tiring.

And he really thought it would only take days to fix everything better, even without his mother. But just thinking that makes him wish that everything is just a dream, that he just needs to wake up from this and he can see his mother giggling as he runs towards him. Not all wishes can be granted after all.

-
Next...