6 ~ Hot Like Fire

Portgas • D • Ace

Portgas D Ace

It was a difficult thing for Ace to believe. The possibility of the man who caused him so much pain, so much inner turmoil and so much hatred, met his crush long before he did made Ace feel bad. He didn't like his father and he had no interest in following in the mans footsteps either, becoming the king of pirates was something for Luffy to do. The only reason Ace set out to sea was to make his own name, have his own adventures and become an even greater legend than Gol D. Roger ever was. He was Portgas D. Ace not Gol D. Ace. But... Why did you speak so lightly of Gol D. Roger as if he was a good person?

You sensed a strange emotion in Ace as your mouth closed in surprise. Good thing you could hide your expressions quite easily because suddenly finding out his lineage really did surprise you. Sometimes, having the Voice Of All Things wasn't a good thing. 

You wondered if Ace would be mad at the fact that you were aware of who his parents were without his permission. Wanting to make him forget completely about this subject (at least now that you were aware of his deep hatred towards the infamous king of pirates) and focus more on him. After all, you didn't have all that many stories about the outside world while on the other hand Ace had plenty, and despite your age you still dreamed about the many wonders of the outside world that you hadn't seen as an infant.

"Ace, how did you get your devil fruit?"

A nervous sweat ran down the back of his head as he laughed. Ace vividly remembered how he'd obtained his devil fruit, but it's not like it was an epic fight or anything so he tried to tell you it wasn't fun to know about. He swung the both of your intertwined hands back and forth as you both traveled down a random path in the forest, a pink flush barely noticeable on his face once his eyes scanned over your face. "Well... It isn't really the coolest story so uh..."

"Just tell me!" You grinned reassuringly, "Trust me, the most boring thing could seem really cool to me since I haven't really been anywhere other than the land of Wano."

"This place is cool though," Ace pointed out and you nodded.

"That's true, but I've watched this land perish and die for years from the beautiful state it once was, and it kind of ruins the image I once had." When Ace sensed the underlying tone of sadness in your voice he began to work on replacing it with happiness, squeezing your hand a little in hopes of helping. It did.

"Well, I guess it's also the story of how Deuce and I met." He smiled faintly, "I had shipwrecked on a random island where there was no food, water, no nothing. Just trees."