𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚 𝒇𝒐𝒖𝒓 , the overlooked

Start from the beginning

Kinsey sat in the passenger seat of the Jeep, combing her hands through the dried blood in her hair, allowing it to stain her hands as she watched the storm grow in front of them, how violently the trees danced, how the lightning lit up the sky, a strong wind pushing the uneasy Jeep side-to-side as it raced through the town. Her phone continued to vibrate as it rested in the middle of the car, gently placed in the cupholder, it switched between Isaac and Peter on the screen. She had been expected it, she had texted her father with a simple message, stating that she needed Derek at the loft ASAP, that was all the detail she had given him, she hoped that he could come up with an excuse for Derek to leave Cora at the hospital in the care of their uncle while he came back to the loft, allowing them to confront him about Jennifer. As for Isaac, his calls were for obvious reasons. To tell her how stupid she was for going through with this plan and risking her life if she happened to come face-to-face with Jennifer again when she was already injured. The fact that she had promised him that she would be fine alone probably hadn't helped her cause.

"Aren't you going to answer them?" Stiles asked, taking his eyes off of the road for a split second to look at her, the vibrating of her phone hadn't failed to distract him from his speeding, but it had managed to distract him from the fact that his father was missing, another reason why he was glad that Scott had been the one to volunteer to stay with Lydia. He wouldn't have been able to concentrate on comforting her knowing that Kinsey was out potentially fighting a Dark Druid when she was in a less than fit shape to be doing so.

"No," Kinsey stated simply, her voice soft, innocent.

"Why not?" He asked with surprise, raising his brows at her. She didn't understand why he even bothered to ask that question as she looked at him, she thought she had made her reasons clear. But he thought that now the plan was already in motion she would at least answer Isaac.

"Because all they're going to do is try and stop me. Tell me to go home, or to a hospital."

He knew that she was right because he wanted to tell her the same thing. She shouldn't be out and acting like everything was fine with her, as if her hair and hands weren't stained red from her own blood that he was pretty sure continued to weep from her wound. But her stubbornness was unmatched, it always had been, he believed he knew that better than anyone else. Every time she acted like this, as though her own safety and wellbeing was the least important thing in the world, he was reminded of the night she had turned up at his bedroom door when it had all seemed to go wrong for the two of them. How she'd acted that night, her mindset, it was exactly how she was acting now, maybe even on a large scale. Even after seeing Jackson die, and come back to life, seeing the fight outbreak, watching everything take a turn for the worse, she was determined to follow through with idiotic plans that put her in the hands of danger. Even death.

"Why are you so determined to get yourself killed?" Stiles asked, he couldn't help himself, the words had just poured out of his mouth, and they hadn't been put delicately. He was blunt, his tone made it clear just how much he disapproved of how she was acting, how impulsive she had always been, and without a doubt, how she would always be. Until it got her killed.

Kinsey scoffed with a shake of the head, she thought he would be the one to get it. He was like her, an impulsive person, sometimes he obviously didn't see it, but he put himself in just as much danger as she put herself in. "I'm not determined to get myself killed. I'm determined to save the people that I love. If that get's me killed, then so be it. At least I know that I didn't die in vain." She shrugged, her words sincere. "I will always choose someone else's life over my own."

Stiles opted for silence after hearing the girl's reasoning, he didn't bother to argue, there was no point, she would find a way to win it, and she would come out with the same perspective that she went in with. When it came to saving people, even if it meant dying herself, nothing would change the girl's mind, that was clear. Both of them remained quiet for the remainder of the ride to Derek's, allowing the sounds of heavy winds, rumbling thunder, and Kinsey's vibrating phone to be the only sounds that filled their ears. As he drove Stiles continued to glance between the road, Kinsey and her phone, that also had Allison added into the mix of phone calls, but Kinsey ignored them too, particularly because she knew it wouldn't be her cousin on the other end of the phone, but Isaac thinking that he could trick her into answering. Which he couldn't.