Until Death Do Us Part (MinLix)

Start from the beginning

At that, Daewon's grin returned, and he laughed, patting Minho's shoulder. "Ah, always so talented with words, dear cousin. I suppose you're right. Maybe I was too enticed by this unexpected encounter – you know how Demons are, always fooling around and breathing lies." His eyes then glinted with a dark mischief completely unbefitting of an Angel. "I think the magic in his collar isn't strong enough, if his demonic allure was enough to affect me so."

Felix couldn't help but stiffen at that. How could Daewon have noticed? Minho had effectively reduced the quantity of magic in the collar Felix was forced to wear, but certainly not enough for anyone to notice – just enough that Felix wouldn't collapse on the spot because of the intense draining on his magical core.

"I don't know what you're talking about," replied tersely Minho, his fake smile dropping the slightest bit. "I regulate the collar myself. Are you saying I am incapable of Keeping him properly?"

"No, of course not," replied his fellow Angel, his voice dripping with honey. "All I'm saying is that maybe you've been too distracted by your duties in the Royal Court lately to pay proper attention to the security measures. Plus, after a full century with that pet by your side, your senses have surely become blunted by familiarity. It's only natural that you wouldn't notice a little glamour slipping through the cracks."

"This isn't—"

"Here, let me help you regulate it properly," Daewon insisted, moving forward again, and Felix had to fight back the urge to step back as he suddenly loomed over him. "As a heartfelt apology for the unpleasant jests from earlier."

Minho visibly wanted to protest, but that would definitely cause a scene. The nearest guests were already shooting them side-eyed glances, and causing a commotion in the middle of the ballroom wouldn't help their situation in the least. So, Felix straightened his back and shot a look at Minho, imperceptibly shaking his head.

Let him do what he wants. I'll be fine, he tried to convey.

Minho bit his lower lip so hard it was almost enough to make it bleed, and he let out a somewhat shaky exhale, forcing himself to relax the fists he had unconsciously tightened.

"Do as you please."

Daewon didn't need to be told twice. The smug grin on his face merely widened as he suddenly gripped the metal collar around Felix's neck and harshly pulled down to force him into a somewhat humiliating bow. Keeping Felix in this uncomfortably position, he then started letting his own magic flow into the collar.

The collar was a system put in place to ensure Demons wouldn't be able to use their powers as they pleased, or at all. However, Felix, while the youngest son of one of the most powerful Demon Clans, was not like the rest of his family – his magical core was small and frail, and his powers were weak. He had a rare disease that atrophied his core as a child, which rendered him incapable of actively using magic as an adult.

The collar, however, was not adapted for his disability. It was made to drain over three-quarters of the magic of the creature wearing it, usually leaving just enough for said creature to stay alive and go on with a normal, if slightly handicapped life. However, Felix already had a hard enough time living with what little magic he possessed – his body was weak, he got sick often, and he couldn't accomplish tasks that were too physically demanding.

The first time the collar was attached to his neck, Felix almost died. The shock was too strong, the drain too sudden, and his heart did stop beating altogether. It's only because Minho had almost instantly realized what was wrong that he was alive today – the Angel had promptly taken off the collar and, later on, had started regulating the magic in the item so that it wouldn't actually affect Felix's magic core.